Open Width Compacting Machine:
Open width compactor machine is used for compacting the open form fabric. Here, slitting machine is used for open the fabric from the tubular form. Open width compacting machine is a combination machine of pin plate stenter and felt compactor, it is used for the processing of 100% cotton, wool, hemp natural fabrics and chemical fabrics in open width form. It is also used in continuous spreading, centering, pinning fabric selvedge on needles, widening with overfeeding and correction of the weft and width, steaming, gumming, drying, trimming fabrics selvedge, steaming, calendaring, cooling and rolling-up with automatic alignment of the fabrics roll edge or folding in carriage. The open width compacting machine allows to get high shrinkage values. The compacting is suitable to treat 100% cotton knitted fabric type jersey, pique, interlock, plush, rib fabric, dyed and or printed fabrics and union fabrics. Working width can be 2400mm. In this article I will discuss about functions, parts, working principle, parameters and specifications of open width compacting machine.
Feature of Open Width Compacting Machine:
- Perfect sanforising finishing of knit fabrics.
- Ideally suitable for in-line with stenter machines.
- Effective shrinkage control
- A.C. Inverter drives, PLC with touch screen used.
- Equipped with modem connectivity and online troubleshooting system.
- Metal detector.
Important Parts of Open Width Compactor:
- Heat chamber
- Weft detector
- Over feed roller
- Gripping zone
- Selvedge detector
- Steaming zone
Four zone Contain in Open Compactor M/C –
- Input Zone
- Chain Zone
- Compacting Zone
- Delivery Zone
Open width Compacting Principle:
The degree of compacting can be controlled by the differential speeds of the blanket and steam heated cylinder roller.
For Montex Compactor:
- Pressure of rubber blanket to roller = 5 – 6 bar
- Pressure of fabric blanket to roller = 4 bar
- Rubber blanket thickness = 67’’
For Ferraro Compactor:
- Pressure of fabric blanket to roller = 4 bar
Functions of Open Width Compacting Machine:
- To finishes the fabric
- To compact the fabric
- To control the shrinkage
- Controlling fabric diameter
- To maintain proper width and G.S.M
Calculation for controlling shrinkage and fabric diameter in open width compactor:
For controlling the fabric diameter and shrinkage running diameter is set on compactor. After drying the fabric diameter is calculated & the shrinkage (length & width) is calculated.
Running Dia = After dryer dia + Width shrinkage% + 5%
Heating system: Steam
- Selvedge cutting
- Selvedge safety
- Pinning safety
- Selvedge unrolling
- Selvedge drying
- Steam zone heating
- Compressed air or Processed air (to form the tube fabric into ballon with a view to remove crease)
- Water pressure ——- 2.5 lb
- Air pressure ————4 lb
- Steam pressure ——–6 lb
Table: Open compactor speed and pressure
|Fabric Type||Pad pressure||Speed||Over Feed|
|S/J||2.5 – 3||40 -50||40|
|1×1 Rib||3 -3.5||50 -60||25|
|2×2 Rib||3 – 3.5||60||40|
Manpower Required: Worker: 04/Shift
- Shade check: Operator checks shade at delivery side with approved swatch.
- Width check: Operators measures fabric width measuring tape compares it with approved swatch
- Weight check: Operators check GSM by using GSM cutter and electronic balance.
- Design and slanting: Operators check design and slanting at delivery side
- Faults check: Operator check fault and take proper stapes.
Working Principle of Open Width Compactor Machine:
Open Width Compactor is suitable for open width knit fabrics to achieve exact dimensional stability and a soft feel. The machine generally consists of a feeding frame with centering device and driven scroll rollers, an equalizing stenter machine with overfeed roller and brush pinning arrangement.
The entry section of Pin Frame is provided with edge spreaders IR In-Feed device, an S.S. fabricated steaming unit for uniform moistening of the fabric. The Steaming Device has stainless steel sliding shutters that allow steam to flow only as per the width of the fabric.
A low contact Glueing and Drying unit is provided with a stainless steel trough. Four selvedge drying units with infra-Red emitters are placed on either side of the machine. The delivery side section consists of edge dryer, Selvedge trimmer and a suction device, Exit roller, Width Adjustment device and the drive to the chain are housed in a exit box.
The compacting unit consists of 2 felt compacting units, each of them consisting of a Nomex felt approx. 20 mm thick, a steam heated chrome-plated center roller of dia. 400 mm, a rubber covered roller driven by variable frequency drive, a compacting pressure roller, a felt tensioning roller and a felt centering roller. Each unit is provided with a special anti-fiction sheet type shoe controlled by an electrical actuator to control the compressive shrinkage. A fabric cooling roller is provided after second felt to cool the fabric by means of chilled water circulation. Fabric Tension through the machine is controlled with the help of sensitive load cells and variable frequency drive with PLC and touch screen.
Specification of Open Width Compactor Machine:
|Speed range||13-22 m/min|
|Used utilities||Electricity,Compress air,Steam|
|Production capacity||4 ton/day|
|Applied for||Open width|
|Left over feed||-20%®+20%|
|Right over feed||-20%®+60%|
Technical Data of Open Width Compactor:
|Fabric width||2400mm maximum|
|Operating speed||40m/min maximum|
|Air pressure||6 bar|
|Steam pressure||6 bar saturated steam|
|Material of construction||MS with powder coated|
|Dimensions||L – 6800 mm|
W – 4000 mm
H – 2800 mm
- Principles of Textile Finishing by Asim Kumar Roy Choudhury
- Handbook of Value Addition Processes for Fabrics by B. Purushothama
- Textile Engineering – An Introduction Edited by Yasir Nawab
You may also like:
- Compactor Machine Operation Manual and Safety Instruction
- How to Control Fabric Shrinkage, GSM and Dia in Compactor Machine
- Parts, Functions and Working Process of Stenter Machine
- Types, Specification and Working Procedure of Sueding Machine
- Fabric Dewatering Machine: Objectives, Process Sequence and Operational Parameters
- Dryer Machine in Textile | Drying Techniques in Textile Industry
- Parts and Functions of Slitter Machine | Working Principle of Slitting Machine
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.