Slitting machine is used for tubular knit fabric to make it in open form. In open form fabric finishing line; slitter machine is used after hydro-extractor, dewatering and drying machine. Knit fabrics which are processed in Rope Form must be opened to full width for further processing. The machine consists of a turntable, a rope de-twister, a drop stitch sensing slitting unit with draw rollers and a plaiting unit. The equipment is mounted on its own structure for smooth operation. The Twist Detector consists of 2 sensor rollers and one proximity sensor. The turntable arrangement with its drive offers smooth and fast working.
Slitting is a process that is applied for cutting the tubular fabric through the intended break Wales line on lengthwise direction prior to stenter processing. During slitting, it is required to be aware about the cutting line otherwise, fabric faults can be occurred there.
Objectives of Slitting:
Following objectives are achieved by the slitting machine.
- To open tube fabric according to specific needle mark.
- To prepare the fabric for next stentering process.
Function of the Slitting Machine:
- Used to remove excess water after pretreatment and dyeing.
- To slit the tube fabric by the knife for opening of the fabric and ready for stentering.
- To deliver fabric uncreased, tension free state.
- Before squeezing balloon is formed with the help of compressed air passing by a nozzle or air sprayer.
- It can control the diameter of fabric and GSM and shrinkage by over feeding mechanism.
- To impart soft finish to the fabric by using required softener.
Main Parts of Slitter Machine and Their Functions:
Following are the main machine parts and their functions.
- Rotary Blade: Rotary blade is used for cutting the fabric through break Wales line.
- Ring: Ring is use to help the cutting process.
- Guide Roller: After slitting, plaiting of the fabric is done. Guide roller guides the fabric to plaiting.
- Plaiting: Open fabric is make plait by plaiting.
- Sensor: Sensor is used for identify the specific Wales line. It makes sense for cutting through break Wales’s line.
- Squeeze roller: To remove water.
- Stretcher: To control width.
- Over feeding wheels: To control GSM.
- De-twisting device: To delivery the fabric roll in untwisted form.
- Folding device: To delivery the fabric in folded form.
Other parts of slitting machine:
- J box or Rope squeezing box
- Turning table
- Magnet (Glass)
- Twister (used to untwist)
- Centering roller
- Delivery roller
- Spinder roller
- Folding roller
- Padder for softener
Checking Parameters of Slitter:
Following parameters are checked after slitting.
- Cutting Line Check: Fabric cutting line is checked by the operator of the slitting machine. Operator checks that the rotary blade cut fabric through break Wales’s line or not.
- Bow and Slant check: Bow and slant is checked in the delivery side of the machine by the operator.
- Fabric Faults: Various fabric faults also checked in slitting process.
Working Principle of Slitter Machine:
The slitting machine has 4 units – initial squeezer, de-twisting, slitter and padder. After dyeing completed and falling of water from fabric the fabric is fed in slitting machine. So it is necessary to remove some water initially for the case of further processing in this machine. The initial squeezer does this work. The de-twisting unit removes twists that may present in tubular rope form fabric. This unit has 3 de-twisting rollers, one rotation drum and 2 feeler rollers with sensors. By these rollers it detects twist in fabric and removes by rotating rope fabric in opposite direction. Before slitting there is a blower which blows air to open the tubular fabric and makes it easy to pass over cigger. The cigger can be extended in circumference and opens the tubular fabric in full circumference. Slitting is done by using open mark detecting golden eye by around knife. Then the fabric passes through the padder where washing or chemical treatment is done. Squeezer is used to remove 60-70% of water. After removing water width is controlled by stretcher and fabric is delivered by folding device.
Operational Parameters of Slitting Machine:
- Set the padder pressure as required (3-7bar)
- Set the speed as much as possible (30-80m/min).
Controlling points or Control system:
- Overfeed control
- Speed control
- Width control
- Voltage: 400V
- Frequency: 50Hz
- Maximum power: 24kwatt
- Worker: 02
- Compressed air or Processed air (to form the tube fabric into ballon with a view to remove crease)
Feed roller pressure:
|Fabric Type||Pad pressure||Speed||Over Feed|
|S/J||2.5 – 3||40 -50||40|
|1×1 Rib||3 -3.5||50 -60||25|
|2×2 Rib||3 – 3.5||60||40|
Specification of Slitting Machine:
- Brand Name: Stanta cut.
- Origin: Switzerland.
- Power Consumed: 10 Kw.
- Air Pressure: 6 Bar.
- Speed: 60-70 m/min.
- Production per Shift: 4 Tons
- Year: 2006
- Manpower Required: Worker 02 and Operator 01
You may also like:
- Types, Specification and Working Procedure of Sueding Machine
- Sueding Finishing Process: Mechanism, Application and Benefits
- Textile Finishing Process | Mechanical and Chemical Finishes in Textiles
- Fabric Dewatering Machine: Objectives, Process Sequence and Operational Parameters
- Different Parts and Specifications of De-watering Machine and Their Functions
- Dryer Machine in Textile | Drying Techniques in Textile Industry
- Knit Fabric Turning Process | Features of Fabric Turning Machine
- Self Cleaning Textiles: New Concept of Textile Finishing
- Chemical Finishing and Its Importance in Textiles
- Textile Finishing: Beautification Process of Fabric
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.