Singeing is the process of burning of the fiber hairs projecting through the fabric surface. It is done to obtain a uniform and smooth fabric surface by removing hairiness. To ensure uniform optical reflectance throughout the fabric surface in subsequent fabric wet processing.
The natural fabrics are usually singed in grey form as there can be burned ashes and some sort of yellowing on the fabric which are cleared in the subsequent processes. On the other hand, synthetic fibers and their blends are to be singed after dyeing, otherwise molten amorphous beads take up more dyes making dark spots. Polyester melts at higher temperature and requires a powerful flame.
There are various methods of singeing:
- Plate singeing machine
- Rotary cylinder or roller singeing machine
- Gas singeing machine.
The singeing is carried out in yarn or fabric form. In this article I will discuss different types of singeing problems, causes and their solutions.
Different types of singeing problems, causes and their solutions
|Singeing Problems||Possible Causes||Solutions|
|In complete singeing|
|Uneven singeing (Width ways)|
|Uneven singeing (Lengthways)|
You may also like:
- Singeing and Desizing Process in Textile Industry
- Typical Preparatory Process of Dyeing
- Bleaching Process in Textile: Its Purposes and Chemical Requirements
- Impurities of Different Natural Fibers with Percentage
- Concept Development of Mercerization with Different Parameter and Comparison
- Importance and Techniques of Dyes Selection in Textile Dyeing Process
- Textile Dyeing Process with Ultrasonic Waves
- Salt Free Dyeing of Cotton Fabric with Reactive Dyes
- Different Types of Dyes with Chemical Structure
- Different Types of Dyestuffs in Relation to the Fiber Substrate
- Production Parameter of Yarn Dyeing Section
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.