Benefits of Wearing Compression Garments
Mohammad Zain Ul Abideen
B. Sc. in Textile Engineering, Pakistan.
Benefits of compression garments:
Compression garments also known as pressure garments. Compression garments are pieces of clothing such as socks, pantyhose, sleeves, etc., that provide support that is especially useful for people who have to stand for long periods, or people with poor circulation. Spandex yarn is used to manufacturing compression garments. Compression garments are widely used as sportswear. I have also published article on compression garments. You can read this to know details about compresion garments.
Following are the benefits that may be gained through the use of compression garments such as:
Increase recovery speed:
Used as part of the ‘Rice’ regime (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate), compression leggings or tights can rapidly reduce recovery time and minimize delayed onset muscle soreness.
Decrease injury risk:
The force of impact is lessened, helping to support and stabilize injury weekend areas such as the knee.
Greater running efficiency:
Supports injured or prone to injury areas such as the calf and quad gently squeezing and cradling problem areas reducing muscle oscillation and helping to keep muscles warm so that they can work more effectively.
Compression socks increase venous return and help deliver oxygen to muscles with a tight fit around the foot and a graduated squeeze up the calf.
- Enhancing blood circulation to peripheral limbs
- Reducing blood lactate concentration during maximal exercise bouts
- Enhancing warm-up via increases in skin temperature
- Increasing vertical jump height
- Improving repetitive jump power
- Reducing muscle oscillation upon ground contact
- Increasing torque generated about joints, improving performance and reducing the risk of injury. For example, assisting the eccentric action of the hamstring at the end of the swing phase in running enhancing recovery following strenuous exercise by aiding in the removal of blood lactate and improving subsequent exercise performance
- Reducing the effects of delayed on set muscle soreness in the days following strenuous exercise
- Increasing feelings of positive leg sensations both during and following strenuous exercise.
- It helps to soften firm, hard (fibrous) tissues due to the massaging effect of the garment against the skin during movement or exercise.
- Reduces fluid buildup in sub dermal surgical lumpectomy area
- Increases blood circulation
- Promotes proper skin adhesion to newly contoured areas
Lymphoedema garment has the following main benefits:
A. It limits the amount of fluid building up in the limb. Normally there is a constant flow of fluid from the tiny blood vessels into the tissues. This fluid is then drained by the lymph system. Pressure from your garments reduces any excessive or unnecessary flow of fluid from the blood stream into the tissues.
B. It will provide the muscles with a firm resistance to work against; thereby improving the function of the lymphatic’s and encourages the movement of fluid along the lymph routes. It is essential you wear your compression garment during exercise all benefits gained during the exercise will be lost if you don’t.
C. It enables fluid within the limb to move towards the body where it will drain away more easily (Especially in conjunction with simple or Manual lymphatic drainage). Because the compression garments have a graduated compression (more strength at the foot or hand than at the top of the garment), the fluid is directed to the root of the limb (groin or armpit).
D. It will provide support to inelastic tissues, often noticeable following an intensive course of treatment, when a large amount of fluid has been removed from the limb, leaving loose and sagging skin or tissues.
You may also like:
- Compression Garments: Types, Manufacturing, Benefits and Applications
- Factors Affecting for Clothing Selection
- Clothing for Extreme Cold Conditions – An Overview
- UV Protection for Summer Wear Using Green Technique
- How to Choose Best Color for Your Dress
- Major Factors for Serviceability of a Cloth or Garment
- Role of Tight Fitting Dress and Its Impact on Human Health
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.