Career in Textile Engineering – Indian Perspective
Shubham Anil Jain
Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail Limited
Textile engineering is a huge and dynamic branch of engineering that relates with the garment, colour and fabric line of industries. It is the science that examines all procedures and techniques used in the production of textiles. Laws, scientific theories, and methodologies are used in textile engineering to develop and produce all varieties of textile fabrics and yarns. It also investigates the scientific principles involved in analysing the polymers used to create textile fibre. The design and management of fibres, equipment, products, and the apparel and textile process are the main areas of concentration in textile engineering.
Big Players of Textiles in India:
- Bombay Dyeing
- Mysore Silk
- JCT Limited
- Lakshmi Mills
- Reliance Textiles
- Grasim Industries
- Arvind Mills Ltd
- Lakshmi Machine Works
- Bhilwara Group
- Rajasthan Petro Synthetics
- RIL Textiles
- Mafatlal Denim
- Raymond Group
- Welspun Group
Different Types of Textile Engineers:
1. Process Engineer:
A process engineer’s responsibility is to manage the complete textile manufacturing process. It is his or her responsibility to make sure that the raw material is efficiently turned into the finished product. A process engineer is also in charge of managing factory production. A production engineer oversees the effective use of production costs. These textile engineering jobs involve making sure that no excessive spending is made and that manufacturing requirements are satisfied.
2. Operations Trainee:
An entry-level position in the field of textile engineering is that of an operations trainee. A trainee in an operation is given duties by their superiors. For a candidate to develop the abilities required for the job, the training time is crucial. He or she works in a variety of divisions, including industrial engineering, merchandising, quality analysis, and production planning.
3. Production Engineer:
A production engineer’s role is to collaborate with a process engineer and assume control of the subsequent production process from raw materials to completed items. He or she ensures that the cloth quality and dye colour meet the buyer’s requirements. These textile engineering positions involve working with quality control department for rejection of fabric.
4. Quality Controller:
A quality controller’s responsibility is to oversee the production approval process. These textile engineering tasks entail assessing the finished product according to a number of criteria, including quality, measurements, fittings, workmanship, accessories, and other relevant elements. It is a crucial position because the company must uphold certain quality standards for the goods produced if it wants to have a loyal consumer base.
5. Fashion Designer:
Applying natural beauty and design aesthetics to clothing and beauty is the profession of a fashion designer. Fashion is also influenced by cultural and societal trends and attitudes, which have changed over time. Designing clothing and accessories is just one way that a job in fashion works.
6. Costume Designer:
A costume designer researches, creates, purchases, and sews the costumes and accessories that actors wear on stage. He or she makes sure that the props and attire accurately portray the plot, each character’s culture, age, position, and relationships. The designer begins each outfit design by carefully reading the screenplay.
Engineering in Textiles as a Career:
1. Clothes, bed linens, drapes, carpeting, upholstery materials, and towels are all made of textiles. Textile engineering is the science that underlies the manufacture of all these items.
2. All of these fibres, textiles, and yarns are produced using processes, tools, and techniques developed by textile engineers.
3. They can engage in corporate management, plant and process engineering, production control and supervision, technical sales and services, product development, quality control, and research and development.
4. Even in the field of medicine, artificial arteries made of fabrics and filters used in renal dialysis equipment, bandages, and hospital gowns are essential. The Jarvik-7 artificial heart includes Velcro fittings and is more than 50% composed of textile fibres.
5. A lot of study, invention, and originality are required in the field of textile engineering given the demand for trendy clothing. After completing the course, students must use their creativity and scientific understanding to produce high-quality work.
6. Top textile facilities and firms typically hire textile engineers. Textile engineers have other career options, including starting their own company.
The following positions are filled by graduates of textile engineering programmes:
- Engineer for medical fabrics
- Process designer
- Trainee in operations
- Quality assurance manager
- Engineer for process improvement
- Technician in sales
Roles Performed by Textile Engineer:
Reviews also have the power to influence how consumers decide and can boost a company’s trustworthiness. Reviews definitely have the potential to win over customers’ trust and enable them to relate to the company. Engagement with customers boosts an organization’s performance. To guarantee that the procedures used are accurate, a textile engineer must analyse process flows, engineering specifications, and manufacturing schedules.
2. Constructing systems:
The process of identifying, designing, testing, and introducing a new application or significant development component is referred to as systems development. It could involve creating internal structures on the inside that are more efficient, creating data warehouses, or purchasing software from a third party.
3. Finding workable solutions:
Finding effective ways can be thought of scientifically and methodically as delving more deeply into the unresolved facts to produce information that can be used to solve problems. Textile engineers are looking for solutions to both typical problems and specific challenges.
4. Taking care of production issues:
To reduce production costs and solve issues, people who choose a profession as textile engineers adopt quality control systems. Planning, organising, directing, and controlling production activities are all considered to be part of management of production. This should be flexible in managing integration of new developments and should concentrate on giving reliable information that is updated.
Candidates who want to make a name for themselves in the fashion, apparel, and fibre production industries can consider a career in textile engineering. Since there will always be a need for textiles, this course provides students a promising career. As a result, there are now numerous job opportunities both in India and overseas thanks to the growing scope of textile engineering. Students can develop original concepts by combining their originality, creativity, and scientific knowledge, which are all necessary for textile engineering.
You may also like:
- Job Opportunities for Textile Engineers in Bangladesh
- Career Opportunities in Starting a Fashion Boutique
- Career Prospects of Textile Industry in Bangladesh
- Career in Merchandising: Factory vs Buying House
- Career Opportunity in Garments CAD in Bangladesh
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.