Name of the Experiment:
Study on Feed of the Arm sewing machine and production of Sample.
There are many types of sewing machines. Some are used for special purposes such as Feed of the Arm machine, Bar tack machine, Button hole machine, Button attaching machine, Blind stitch machine, Industrial Overlock machine etc. This type of machine works with continuous sewing and so they are called automatic machine. Here we study on such a type of machine that is feed of the arm sewing machine. It is used to stitch a tubular seam of narrow width on the edge of shirts and trousers. It is particularly utilized for sewing a lapped seam which has to be closed such that the garment panels become a tube-like structure. These machines are common for sewing outside leg seams in jeans where the lap felled seam is used.
- To know about the parts of feed of the arm sewing machine.
- To know specification of the machine.
- To know working principle of feed off the arm sewing machine.
- To know uses of feed off the arm sewing machine.
Specification of industrial feed of the arm machine:
- Brand: JUKI
- Model: MFD 47605U
- Type: Flat bed.
- Group: Chain stitch
- Needle no: 2
- Needle name: EYX128
- Needle size: 9, 11, 14, 16, 18, 20 & 21
- SPM: 3000-3200
- TPI: 15-20
Main adjustment points:
- Pressure feed.
- Stitch density.
Different parts of feed of the arm sewing machine:
- Thread stands
- Thread guides
- Disc type tensioner
- Pressure feed lever
- Thread take-up lever
- Throat plate
- Pressure foot
- Hand wheel
- Needle clamp
- Feed dog
- Thread tension post
The frame has a tube like section for the bed of the machine. This tubular bed may be exactly the same size as the bed arm of a length cylinder bed. The fabric travels on to the bed arm of a length cylinder bed. Such machine permits an operator to sew cylinder, such as sleeves with lapped type seams, the machine is shown in Figure 1. This machine may be of flat bed type. In our lab 31 no. machine is Feed of the Arm machine. In this machine 2 needle, 2 loopers may also be used & sewing may be done using from 4 threads. Sewing with Feed of the Arm machine, 1 inch cloth up to16 inches thread is needed. The SPM of this type of machine is usually 3000 and 8-16 stitches may be done per inch. It is a very expensive machine and is used for mainly sewing Jeans, Grabidding goods & Double stitching pants.
Working procedure of feed of arm machine.:
- Firstly we kept the six thread package on the thread stand.
- Then we passed the thread according to their passing path.
- We also maintain the thread tension with the help of tension post.
- Thread pass through into the needle and set up machine properly.
- Then switch on the machine.
- After that fabric stitch will do by the machine.
Uses of feed of the arm sewing machine:
- For making garments of jeans fabric
- Used in long seam of trousers
- Frequently used for joining lace
- Used for joining braid and elastic in the garments.
- This machine is used for sewing shirt side seams and under arms, and for sewing jeans inseam.
- We should maintain proper speed pressing the foot pedal correctly.
- We should keep distance our hand and finger from the needle during work with sewing machine operation.
This type of machine can not be used for normal purpose. But for making a complete garment their importance can not be denied. By this experiment, we have learnt about different parts of a feed of the arm machine, its function, working principle and use. Special care and sufficient knowledge is necessary for proper working. Otherwise faulty sewing may be done. I would like to give special thanks to our teacher. I am also grateful to our instructors. I think this will be very helpful in my future.
You may also like:
- Flat Lock Sewing Machine: Parts, Specifications and Working Mechanism
- Button Hole Machine: Parts, Specification and Working Principle
- Blind Stitch Sewing Machine: Parts, Thread Path and Sewing Mechanism
- Bartack Sewing Machine: Parts, Working Principle & Uses
- Working Aids in Sewing Machine and Garment Production
- Sewing Machine Maintenance Schedule
- Sewing Machine Engineering and Attachments
- Thread Path, Parts & Main Adjustment Points of Overlock Machine
- Button Attaching Machine: Features, Parts and Specification
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.