Classification of Textile Testing (Fibers, Yarns, Fabrics)
M. Hossen Uzzal
B.Sc. in Textile Technology
Noakhali Textile Engineering College
Testing is the process or procedure to determines the quality of a product. And quality could be termed as customers’ satisfaction; a good quality product means that it will fulfill all the purposes for which it has been produced.
Textile testing is a most important way to certified a textile fiber, yarn or fabric as a useable material in textile products or garments. Testing will inform you what kind of fiber is this and approximately what kind of garments you’ll be produce by this fiber, yearn, fabric.
When a textile product or material is tested, its results must fulfill both explicit and implicit requirements. The explicit requirements from the tests are either that how the product will perform during its life cycle or how it will meet the required specifications. The core purpose of testing is that it must be reproducible; it means that if the same material tested under similar conditions in different laboratories, or at another time, and by another operator but it should yield the same results. However, testing results of textile materials are not expected to be similar every time. Variation in the material, variations imparted by test method these factors can be affecting the reproducibility of results. Let’s have a look basically how many textile testing is used to test, textile fiber, yarn, fabric in the textile lab.
Classification of Textile Testing:
Classification of textile testing includes fiber testing, yarn testing and fabric testing. List of fiber, yarn and fabric testing are point out below.
Testing of Fibers:
Testing of raw material is very important and in case of spinning raw material could be fibers, so it is necessary to find out the complete parameters of fiber that will help in the process of spinning. The properties of the yarn and fabric are directly influenced by the properties of fiber from which yarn and fabric are made. For testing of fibers, mostly used instruments are USTER HVI and USTER AFIS.
Classification of Fiber Testing:
- Identifications of fiber
- Color of fibers
- Fiber Length
- Fiber strength and elongation
- Fiber fineness
- Fiber maturity
- Short fiber index- SFI
- Short fiber content- SFC
- Immature fiber content
Testing of Yarns:
Yarn is the principal element of fabric. So, fabric quality directly depends on yarn. Various types of tests are used to identify yarn quality.
Classification of Yarn Testing:
- Yarn count or Linear Density
- Twist per unit length
- Single yearn strength
- Lea strength and elongation
- Evenness and regularity
After the development of the fabric different tests are performed on it to evaluate different parameters. Different strength tests are performed to evaluate the fabric strength.
Classification of Fabric Testing:
- Strength and elongation
- Number of warp yarn per unit length
- Number of weft yarn per unit length
- The count of yarn used
- Design and construction of cloth
- Yarn permeability
- Shrinkage test
- Crease resistance and recovery
- Thermal properties
- Pilling test
- Water absorbance and resistance
You may also like:
- List of Basic Tests of Textile Fabric
- List of Physical Testing Machines in Dyeing Lab
- List of Chemical Testing Equipments for Dyeing Lab
- Different Types of Testing Equipments Used in Textile Lab
- Spinning Testing Lab Equipments, Their Specifications and Functions
- An Accurate Professional Martindale Abrasion and Pilling Tester: A Chance to Success
- List of Testing Machineries and Equipments Used in Spinning Lab
- Buyer Inspection System in Apparel Industry
- Popular Garment Wash Ideas in Apparel Business
- Concept of ISO 9000, Six Sigma and Lean Production for Apparel Industry
It’s me, a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. I’m working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. I’m also a contributor of Wikipedia.