Popular Garment Wash Ideas in Apparel Business
Manager (Quality Control & Assurance),
Adams Apparels Ltd.
If you want to be apparel professional, you will be mostly asked question about Garment Wash during your interview for a new job. It’s a very important lesson for you because now it is applied in most of the garments either its woven or knit or sweater. We know that wash means cleaning something with water or other liquid usually with soap, detergent or bleach. But in apparel industry, the technology which is used to modify the appearance, shade, hand-feel, design & fashion of the garments is called Garment Wash.
Objects of Garment Washing:
- To cleanse dirt, dust & waste materials from garments.
- To control fabric shrinkage occurs during wash.
- To remove harmful elements from garments.
- To make it bright, soft, handy, attractive & fashionable.
- To change the appearance of garments.
- To make directly wearable after purchase.
- To create affects of washing, fading, tinting,
Types of Popular Garment Wash:
There are mainly two types of garment wash ideas which called Washing Process in garments industry. These are:
- Wet Washing Process: This process is done to achieve desired garments shade.
- Dry Washing Process: This process is done to decorate garments with different types of faded fashion.
Some popular garment wash ideas of Wet Washing Process are mentioned below:
1. Normal Wash: This wash is very common in apparel industry. It is needed to avoid unexpected shrinkage & to remove dust, dirt, harmful elements from garments. It’s also called Rinse Wash / Detergent Wash / Garments Wash etc.
2. Pigment Wash: It is done by pigment on pigment dyed or printed garments to bring fading affects.
3. Caustic Wash: Generally this wash is done on printed, sulphur dyed, reactive or direct dyed garments. Caustic Wash is used to remove the size materials & starch from the garments. It increases hairiness, color fastness & rubbing fastness.
4. Acid Wash: This wash is applied on heavy fabrics such as jeans, denim, course canvas, sweater, thick twill etc to produce irregular pattern fading effects in the garments.
5. Silicon Wash: This wash can be applied on all types of fabrics to produce softness durability, tear resistance, anti-pilling affects and dimensional stability of fabric.
6. Super White Wash: It is applied on cotton grey fabrics to make garments extremely white & soft feeling.
7. Bleach Wash: This wash refers to light blue shades of denim. It is done by bleaching agents to make garments more fashionable & attractive to buyers.
8. Stone Wash: It is said that for heavy weight garments large hard stones are suitable, for light weight garments, small soft stones are suitable to achieve desired stone washing effects on garments. Pumice stone is used during wash to give garments worn-in or worn-out effects.
9. Enzyme Wash: In this wash, natural origins of enzyme are used to remove hard feeling, naps, hairiness & pilling on fabrics.
10. Stone Enzyme Wash: It is done by using pumice stone & enzyme. There are three types of Stone Enzyme Wash. These are (1) Normal stone enzyme wash, (2) Medium stone enzyme wash & (3) Heavy Stone Enzyme Wash.
11. Bleach Stone Wash: It is treated to give garments a vintage, aged appearance.
Several popular garment wash ideas / techniques of Dry Washing Process are mentioned below:
1. Sand Blasting: Aluminum Oxide which looks like sand is applied on fabric to make abraded look. Sands are blown to garments with air gun pressure to rub out the color. It’s now losing its popularity due to unhygienic.
2. PP Spray: Potassium Permagnate Spray is done on denim to make a bright effect on sand blasting area.
3. Whiskering: To design whiskers, garment is scrubbed carefully with sand paper over engraved pattern lines. Generally pattern of rubber sheet is engraved by blade to make whisker design. Then garment is placed on sheet & scrapped on specific area to draw whisker impression on garment.
4. Wrinkle: In this process, wrinkle making chemical is applied on garments where wrinkle has to be made, then crease or folds are created technically. Afterwards, garment is dried & cured at high temperature for few minutes.
5. Hand Scraping: Emery paper is used to scrape the garment for getting distressed look. Emery paper comes in different numbers starts from 40 to 600 & higher. 220, 320, 400 number emery papers are widely used in apparel industry. Please remember, the higher the number the finer the emery paper is.
6. Tacking / Tagging: Usually tack pin machines are used to attach plastic or nylon tag pin in folded form of required area to achieve contrast after washing.
7. Destroy / Grinding: Destroy & Grinding are done on jeans items by different types of stone tools. Grinding is mostly done on various edges of a readymade garment while Destroy can be overall.
8. Cuts: It’s created on readymade garments with sharp blades or knives. The Cuts always should be horizontal to the garments, if you cut vertically, then after wash you will get a bigger hole you don’t desire.
Today let me finish here. Hope that I will come back with a new topic soon. Wishing you best of luck.
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.