Different Types of Garment Washing Techniques
Mustaque Ahammed Mamun
Department of Textile Engineering
Dhaka University of Engineering & Technology (DUET)
We know that, the technology which is used to modify the appearance, outlook comfort ability and fashion of the garments is called garment washing. We have published many articles on garment washing. But in this article, we will discuss on how to garment wash; I mean garment washing techniques.
Garment Washing Techniques
A. Dry Processes (Typical Dry Processes)
- Sand Blasting
- Heavy Destroy
- Chemical Blasting
B. Special Dry Processes
- Spray Techniques (P P Spray & P P Sponging),
- Tagging (Broken & Tagging) etc.
C. Wet Processes / Washes (Typical Wash Processes)
- Normal wash
- Soda wash
- Bleach wash
- Stone wash
- Acid wash
- Enzyme with bleach
- Enzyme +stone+ Bleach wash
- Enzyme Silicon Wash
- Tie Wash
- Super white wash.
New/Modern Concept of Garment Washing Techniques
- Foam or artificial stone wash,
- Ozone fading,
- Laser Techniques etc.
1. Foam or artificial stone Wash
To overcome the shortcoming of pumice stones, synthetic stones have been developed. These are made of abrasive material such as silicate, plastic, rubber or Portland cement.
The advantages of using such type of product are: –
- All major problems associated with the use of volcanic grade pumice stone can be overcome.
- Durability of such product is much higher and can be used repeatedly from 50-300 cycle depending upon type of synthetic stone.
- Reproducibility of washing is manageable.
- Less damage of machine and garments
- As stone discharge is very less, therefore it is economical and ecological.
2. Ozone Fading
The advantages associated with this process are:
- By this technique, the garment can be bleached With or without using Water
- Denim garments can also be bleached or faded by using ozone gas in closed chamber.
- Indigo dyestuff tends to fade.
- Color removal is possible without losing strength.
- Very simple and environmentally friendly because after laundering, ozonized water can easily be deozonized by UV radiation.
- It is a computer-controlled process for denim fading.
- This technique enables patterns to be created such as lines and/or dots, images, text or even pictures.
- Also called spray painting in denims.
- The frequency of the laser is set to erode the indigo surface in order to either alter the colour or burn through the cloth.
3. Laser Techniques
Laser treatments are used exclusively in the upper end of the denim and are considered a more environmentally acceptable process than the traditional methods of finishing.
Advantages of Laser Technology
- It is water free fading of denim.
- It is an ecological and economical process.
- Less Time Consuming & higher Production.
- Less floor Space Consuming.
- Consistency of Production is very high.
- It can create local abrasion and fabric breaks, used look effect, mustache with excellent reproducibility and higher productivity.
- Being an automatic system, chances of human error are slim.
- The design is electronically translated on the fabric.
- The machine is very simple and compact, therefore requires very low maintenance and cleaning, extremely safe and reliable.
You may also like:
- Garments Washing Techniques Used in Bangladesh
- Popular Garment Wash Ideas in Apparel Business
- Bio-Stone Washing with Celluloses for Denim
- Caustic Wash Process with Limitation
- Effect of Random Wash on Denim Fabrics by Using Different Techniques
- Factors Affecting Appearance After Washing of Garments
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.