The world economy is in a stable position due to the largest contribution of the textile sector. Today’s textile industry has reached this stage only due to sound production management. The textile sector is the only sector where the production process, capacity, machinery, compliance, etc. are discussed before the main product arrives and the desired production is obtained through proper management of these. So it can be said that the role of production management in this sector is immense.
What is Production Management?
Production management is the process of planning the conversion of raw materials into finished products, procurement of necessary materials, supervision and control.
In the textile industry, production management refers to the process of making a garment from beginning to end.
Production management includes everything from the collection of raw materials for the manufacture of garments to the planning of activities required for the transformation of garments, procurement of necessary materials, supervision, control, proper layout of employees and even handing over of garments to buyers.
Contribution of Production Management:
Conducts the activities of every worker, employee and officer working on the production floor in order to produce the highest quality product within the stipulated time as per the demand of the buyer. It is the responsibility of the production management to control and plan the work to ensure that it is being made properly after a style operation.
It is the job of the management to call daily meetings. Besides determine how long it will take to complete each operation. Determining the factory’s holding capacity for each order or style.
Determine the start and end dates of each operation and determine how much work will be done each day. It is also the job of production management to calculate the number of operators and helpers needed to complete each operation. In addition to properly managing the various manpower, processes, machinery, etc. involved in production, cutting, sewing and finishing coordinate the work between these three departments.
There are also many other types of work. Those are:
- Daily collects production per hour.
- Collecting defective garments monitoring report.
- Arranging an internal pre-production meeting.
- Follow up on the issue of sending and receiving daily wash garments.
- Style wise cutting breakdown collection, etc. do many more types of work.
Subjects Studying Production Management:
The textile sector in Bangladesh is almost entirely industrial. So, just as technical textiles are important, so is how to manage the industry using these technical knowledge. In this case, production management is an important subject which can be studied to get an idea of all the issues including the production process of the textile sector. The management skills of a textile engineer are essential for the development of this industry. When it comes to career building, this department is a big place to take one’s career to the next level. Because the responsibility that a GM or AGM will perform is taught in this department. This is the best option for a good career in the managerial section of the industry. Having two types of technical + management knowledge, it is possible to quickly build a better career in any sector of textile such as washing, dyeing, knitting, weaving, merchandising, garments, production.
In addition, the production manager appointed in this case does a lot of work, some of which are given below:
- The morning starts with understanding the shift ( they have to figure out what happened all night)
- They have to program what will be dyeing throughout the day.
- Take stock of what clothes are on the floor.
- Call the operators of each machine and explain what they will do throughout the day.
- Making dyeing recipes.
- Increase shift production.
- Preparing the production report of the previous day.
- Checking the shed when it comes down from the dyeing machine. And to decide whether shed will continue or not.
- Fabric quality and inspection.
- Talking to the people on the floor, managing the work.
- See if quality or rolling cloth is being delivered.
- See if there is a problem with the factory’s own floor.
- Holidays for employees, gate passes, and accessories.
- Given the recipe of finishing.
Production Management Software:
ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software is a breakthrough in the modern garment industry. Through ERP, it is very easy to collect and pre-plan all the management information of any garment company in a short time.
Advantages of ERP Software:
- Create a report in a short time
- Easy data and data storage
- Many things can be done in a short time (time saving)
- Increasing productivity as a result of industry automation
- Very easy industry monitoring
Uses of ERP Software:
ERP software is widely used in-
- Yarn manufacturing industry
- Weaving factory
- Home textile
- Textile processing
- Garment manufacturing
- HR Department
- Apparel buying house
In 2021, Bangladesh earns $35.81 billion US dollars from the garment industry alone. In order to maintain this dominance in the textile sector, more emphasis needs to be placed on production management. If the management has this discrepancy then the whole production process will be disrupted. Therefore, in this case, besides recruiting more skilled manpower, we have to increase our own skills. Only then will it be possible to hold the top position of Bangladesh in the world.
Author of This Article:
Dept. of Clothing and Textile
Govt. College of Applied Human Science, Dhaka
You may also like:
- Increasing Productivity and Production Management in Wet Processing Industry
- Importance of Human Resource Management in Textile Industry for Effective Production
- Production Systems Used in Apparel Industry
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.