Sizing Machine Maintenance: Process and Importance
B.Sc. in Textile Engineering
BGMEA University of Fashion and Technology
Machine maintenance is the work that keeps mechanical assets running with minimal downtime. Machine maintenance can include regularly scheduled service, routine checks, and both scheduled and emergency repairs. It also includes replacement or realignment of parts that are worn, damaged, or misaligned. Machine maintenance can be done either in advance of failure or after failure occurs. In this experiment we know the details maintenance process of sizing machine. The maintenance process of sizing machine is defined as how the machine parts are operate and how often do we clean the parts. The single end sizing machine is proposed to design and manufacture a combination of four different processes – warping, sizing, drying and winding, which is held in preparation of the weaving process at continuous, and at the same time, which is the motion of moving parts driven by chain and sprocket mechanism.
Sizing, also termed as slashing is the coating of warp sheet with size solution. Weaving requires the warp yarn to be strong, smooth and elastic to a certain degree. There is always a friction between metallic parts and yarn during the weaving. So, the warp yarns need to be lubricated to reduce the abrasion. The application of size material helps to improve the mechanical properties of warp, reduce abrasion and the elasticity of yarn. Sizing process is carried out with starch and a lubricant. The starch can be either unmodified natural starch, such as potato, rice and maize, or it can be a synthetic material, such as PVA (polyvinyl alcohol). Either way, the starch adheres to the fibers, preventing tiny hairs from sticking out. Lubricants, such as soluble oil and wax, help reduce the friction from parts of the loom, such as the reed on yarn or yarn on yarn, which may cause the yarns to break. Lubricants also ensure a smooth operation of the loom during the shedding and beating processes. The warp yarns from the creel pass through the size solution and then between rollers to remove excess size into a hot air cylinder. There, the yarns are dried before they are wound onto the warp beam.
You may also like: Machine Maintenance in Textile – Plays Key Role in Better Productivity
Objectives of This Study:
- To know about warp yarn sizing process.
- To know about the function of sizing machine parts.
- To know about the maintenance process of sizing machine.
- To optimize the workflow.
Specification of Sizing Machine:
- Machine Name: Single end sizing machine
- Brand: Trytex
- Origin: India
- Power: 3KW
- Sizing Capacity: 3000ml
- RPM: 50 maximum
Description of Sizing Process:
Single threads are taken from the cone packages and passed through a tension control guide at the front of the creel and passed into yarn separating dents of a comb. After passing the comb, the yarn is passed above the guide roller in the size box and directly immersed into the size box by two immersing rollers for predetermined size pick-up. Then the yarn is squeezed by one set of squeezing rollers and it goes to the third zone which is non-contact drying; this is actuated by the electrical stove installed in the drying zone. After the yarn is dried, it will pass to the winding zone. Winding is performed on the weaver’s beam, which is driven by a sprocket chain mechanism. Finally, the winding yarn on the weaver’s beam is directly used by the weaver to manufacture the required cloth.
Maintenance Process of Sizing Machine:
Problem 1: Creel housing vibration.
- Solve – Change the key of creel housing.
Problem 2: Pressure does not adjust properly.
- Result: Uneven sizing.
- Cause: Worn out pressure roller.
- Remedies: Grinding the roller/ Change the roller.
Problem 3: Winding tension does not correct
- Result: Hard/loose warp beam.
- Cause: PVI box does not work correctly.
- Remedies: Maintenance of PVI box of Sizing Machine
Problem 4: Conical beam
- Cause: Mechanical fault in winding
- Remedies: Repair mechanical fault.
- Check the relevant parts of sizing machine like motor, electric device.
- Clean the grooved dm or roller regularly.
- Clean and check all the tensioner and guide.
- Dry unit and Sizing box cleaning regular.
- Checking the heating system (pre heater and heater).
- Maintaining the gearing part by using lubricant.
- Checking the motor and electric connection.
- Maintenance of the PVI box.
- Sizing machine must work well. But it is necessary to improve and maintain it from time to time.
- Machine generally cleaning and if any parts damage then replace it.
From this experiment, we have learnt about the maintenance process single end sizing machine. We also gain vast knowledge about maintenance period of single end sizing machine. A single-end sizing process was developed to eliminate the problems associated with the traditional sizing method. By keeping the yarns separated in slots in the single-end sizing apparatus and drying them individually, less damage to the yarns occurred. However, these learning would be very helpful in our future as a textile engineer.
- Fibres to Fabrics by Bev Ashford
- Textile Engineering – An Introduction Edited by Yasir Nawab
You may also like:
- Yarn Sizing: Important Warp Preparatory Process
- Automation in Warping and Sizing Process
- Parameters for the Process Control in Sizing of Warp Yarn
- Techniques of Warp Yarn Sizing in Weaving Preparatory Process
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.