An Overview of Method Study in Apparel Industry
Noor Ahmed Raaz
Faculty Member, Dept. of Textile Engineering,
Atish Dipankar University of Science & Technology
Method study is defined as: the systematic recording and critical examination of existing and proposes ways of doing work, as a means of developing and applying easier more effective methods and reducing costs. It is an investigating technique used to determine the best way of doing a job. By implementation of method study in apparel industry can be possible to reduce lead time and cost.
The basic approach of method study is to follow a simple six step procedure:
- Select: the work to be studied
- Record: all the relevant facts.
- Examine: the fats critically.
- Develop: the most effective method
- Install: that method.
- Maintain by: by regular check
Method study symbols:
|Operation: Indicate main step in a process, method or procedure Usually the part material or Product concern is modify or change during the operation.|
|Inspection: Indicates and inspection for quality and / or check for quantity|
|Transport: Indicate the movements of works, materials or equipments from place to place|
|Delay: Delay Indicate the delay sequence of the events / works.|
|Storage: Permanent storage (Hold)|
|Combined activities Operation & quality check.|
|Combined activities Quality check then operation|
In order to make a vivid presentation of facts and to enable the mind to understand them quickly them and clearly.
Objectives of method study:
- Simplify the task (or eliminate it).
- Eliminate unnecessary motions.
- Reduce the inherent work content.
- Engineer the operation.
- Better design of plant & equipment and buildings.
- Improved layout of factory and offices.
- Better working conditions and environment.
- Higher standard of safety and health.
- Improved flow of work.
- Better quality.
- Greater job satisfaction.
- Higher earnings.
- Improved utilization of resources.
- Effective material handling.
- Efficient process and procedure.
- Optimum inventory.
- Optimum output.
- Improved administration.
- Waste reduction.
- Standardization and rationalization.
Method study of activities:
There are following 5 method study activities as described below:
1. Operation: An operation is an action performed for advancing towards a desired result.
2. Inspection: An inspection is to check that the planned activity has been performed correctly.
3. Storage: Storage occurs when the product is removed for a time from production.
4. Delay: A delay occurs when some undesired able even prevent the next planned activity.
5. Transport: A transport occurs when there are movements from one place to another.
Application of Method Study in Apparel Industry:
- Designing work station to increase efficiency
- Develop layout
- Improve material flow
- Planning the best rate of movement of people
- Develop a system of various functions
You may also like:
- Industrial Engineering Formulas for Textile Students and Professionals
- Line Balancing and Bottleneck in Garment Production Line
- How to Determine Seam Strength in Garment Industries
- How to Calculate the Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) of Apparel Industries
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.