Fashion and Colour Forecasting
Department of Textiles (Fashion Technology)
DKTE’S Textile & Engineering Institute, Ichalkaranji, India
Intern at Textile Learner
Forecasting is a technique that uses factual data as inserts to make informed estimates that are predictive in auguring the direction of future tendency.
Fashion forecasting is the prophesy of mood, bearing and buying habits of the customer. Forecasting plays a vital role in the fashion industry & in brand development. Forecasting is more than just attending It is no longer a question of recognizing your customers by age, geography or earnings, but looking into how and why they buy, based on their humour, reliance and the instance.
Fashion forecasting is a process by which researchers and people working in the fashion industry, try to analyse trends in the current market situation and then attempt to predict the trends for future market by analysing political, cultural, social and multimedia factors that can influence fashion.
- A trend is a transitory waxing & waning.
- Fashion trends are usually classified by duration & penetration.
- With the help of curves, it is easy to show the differences between the shorter trends and longest trends.
- Cycles have a fixed, regular periodicity; but in case of Fashion, there are no fixed regularly recurring cycles. Therefore, use term ‘Fashion Wave’.
Steps in Developing Trend Forecast:
- To Identify the basic facts about the past trends & forecasts.
- Determine the causes of change in the previously.
- Determine the distinction between past prophesy and actual behaviour.
- Determine the factors likely to affect the trends in future.
- Apply forecasting implement, paying awareness to issues of accuracy and reliability.
- Follow the forecast continually to determine reasons for notable derivations from supposition.
- Revise the forecast when necessary.
Importance of Fashion Forecaster:
The internet plays a big part in fashion prophesy. Forecasters will investigation upcoming designer and celebrity collections and new looks popular on sites like Instagram. Eventually, a fashion forecasters’ authority lies in assisting designers and vendors to captivate more consumers and sell their brands.
Role of Fashion Forecaster:
Fashion forecasters prophesy which silhouettes colours, textures, fabrics, graphics, prints, footwear, accessories, etc. will be the approaching tendency on the runway and in retail stores from season to season. They do this by inspecting new and appearing trends across all manufacturing, to see how they may impact future fashion trends. This includes new developments across the innovative industries. Of course, they’ll also take into deliberation what’s happening in the world and any ethnic moves.
Developing a Forecast:
Forecasting consists of tools & techniques applied systematically. just as important as human judgement & interpretant. The steps in growing a forecast are:
- Identify the basic facts about past trends & forecast
- Determine the causes of change in past.
- Determine the differences between past forecasts & actual conduct.
- Determine the factors likely to affect tendency in the future.
- Apply forecasting tools & techniques, paying at attention to issues of accuracy & reliability.
- Follow the forecast frequently to determine reasons for notable derivations from supposition.
- Revise the forecast when necessary.
Types of Fashion Forecasting:
There are two types of fashion forecasting short term forecasting & long-term forecasting.
1. Long Term Forecasting: 5-10 years. It’s a way to explore possible futures and to build a shared vision of an organization’s direction and development. Prophesy tendency in the long term is a different story. Rapid updates are less crucial to some businesses than precision and notable time to onset. Accurate forecasts allow a business to position itself ambitious, and advance notice gives the business time to implement new plans.
Consequently, productively long-term predicting requires not just a finger on the pulse of current events but also deep knowledge of the inner workings of the fashion industry. For example, authority might predict distant trends using historical patterns and insider knowledge deriving from personal connections to power players in the fashion industry.
2. Short Term Forecasting: More than one year ahead. It requires periodic observing of the long-term vision and revisions as conditions recite. Inspecting daily newspapers, watching TV news, browsing internet, etc.
Colour forecasting is the choosing of ranges of colours that are predicted for a particular product/market at a particular time in the time ahead.
The colour prophesy process is one of great complication and very much an instinctive one. As yet, little information exists about its course, even though the process is considered to be a major driving force of the fashion and textile industry.
You may also like: Psychology of Colour in Branding and Marketing
Colour forecasting is a basic element in the creation of textile and garment collections, and a tool working by manufacturers, designers and retailers in the development of their garment collections. It is used in the initial stages of the design process, so has to be available considerably earlier than other current information, typically two years ahead of the season under evaluation. Colour prophesy involves the organized evaluation and accompany of past seasonal colour influences, religious -cultural and economic factors, fashion trends and the forecasters’ intuition, to create some colour palettes relevant to a variety of market sectors each season. As illustrated in all these factors combined result in the final developed colour prophesy.
Factors Influencing Colour Forecast:
Colour tendency can now be captured in real time.
“For the first time ever, the software enables the disclosure of colour trends to be seized in real time. Not only does the collected colour data disclose which colours will be important in fashion, but also shows exactly how often and in which weightings these tendencies of colours are being used. Even the waxing & waning importance of the non-colours black and white can be traced precisely,” elaborates the German Fashion Institute (DMI) in a log stake.
Once the season’s must-have colours have been determined in this way, particular colour tendencies can also be filtered out, for example the key colours for shoes, bags, blouses, knitwear, RTW (ready to wear) or ethnic wear.
For SS22, this means colours that encourage naturalness and welfare, such as beige and earth tones; they form the basic tone of women’s fashion. In disparity, lightheartedness and playfulness are expressed by bright spew of orange, purple, yellow and maroon.
Further innovation can be found down south: “The light of the south bathes colours in a warmer light and Mediterranean cultures provide instinct for strong beheld and the power of craft,” reports the DMI. But “power dressing, textile performance and a reanalyze pop art signature” are also leaving their fleck on fashion.
From now on, the DMI plans to produce this data digitally twice a year instantly after the show seasons in March and October. Assessment of previous seasons can also be viewed via the DMI.
Example of Colour Forecasting,
The Pantone Color of the Year is a colour trend prophesy for the customer, which means that it’s intended to be used for consumer products and designs created for buyer. Some creative brands renew their look every year according to the new colour, but most professions cannot handle that much change.
Colour Prophesy in Marketing:
Marketing fashion means positioning the product in the market place. Colour plays in major role in apparel products by attracting attention establishing the image of the product and the brand, and evoking symbolic associations. Marketers harness psychological power of colours to communicate with customers through advertising, brand logos, packaging, and product colours. A consumers first impression of a new product is largely mediated by the colour.
Some fashion companies have signature colour ranges think of Calvin Klein’s muted neutrals and Tommy Hilfiger’s bold primary colours but others follow seasonal colour trends. The selling power of colour can be traced to be intertwined sources emotional imagery associated with various hues and desire for individually and personal expression through colour selection.
Forecasters will research upcoming designer & celebrity collections and new looks popular on sites like Instagram, Twitter. Concludes that internet plays a big role in fashion & colour forecasting,
- Fashion technology today and tomorrow
You may also like:
- Marketing Mix in Fashion Industry
- Fashion Marketing: Effective Strategy for Branding and Promotion
- Fashion Retailing is a Tool of Fashion Merchandising
- Analyzing the Fashion Trends in the Current Era
- How Fashion Trends Affect the Environment
- Fashion, Style and Fad: Basic Concept, Features, Examples & Difference
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.