Men’s Fashion and Shopping Habits
Shubham Anil Jain
Cent Edge Solutions LLP, Bangalore, India
In the recent year, it is significantly noticed that, men’s fashion and shopping habits have changed. It is found that, men are becoming more conscious about their personal style and how they present themselves with the help of their attire as the world of fashion continues to grow. As a result of this change, men’s buying behaviours and shopping habits have changed noticeably as they search for ways to showcase their unique identity through fashion and accessories. When it comes to men’s fashion brand identification is crucial. Nowadays, men’s fashion is synonymous with names like Nike, Adidas, and Puma, and these businesses have worked hard to build their brands’ reputations and image. Men always try their best to value this brand image when they shop because it gives them the confidence and pride to select the apparel and accessories they want. In addition, it is seen that men’s fashion is changing very frequently.
Men’s Fashion and Shopping Habits:
Currently, it is found that men’s shopping and fashion preferences have significantly changed in recent years as they grow more conscious of their look and willing to spend money on it. Men’s fashion business has developed because of this increased interest in fashion, with new brands and designers coming out to fulfill the rising demand. An important trend in men’s fashion and shopping habit is the increased focus on fit. Men are becoming more knowledgeable of how their clothes fit, and they select the garments that are form-fitted and well-tailored. Due to this, there is a tremendous increase in made-to-measure and bespoke clothing options. These options provide a more tailored fit and can help men feel and look their best.
Another trend and shopping habits of men is growing interest in sustainable clothes. Men are finding for ways to reduce their carbon footprint as they become more environment conscious, of their fashion decisions on the nature and surrounding. This has increased the availability of environmentally friendly clothing options which basically includes organic cotton and recycled materials. Nowadays, men’s shopping habits are moving towards online purchasing as well. With more fashion alternatives than in physical stores, e-commerce and online websites provide a handy and simple way to shop, which has impacted on shopping habits of men’s. Men may now shop from home instead of going to shops and malls, which have resulted in a move towards more ecologically responsible shopping habits.
Another impact and trend in men’s fashion and shopping habits is found to be the influence of social media. Social media apps like Instagram, Pinterest, and TikTok have become very famous as well as sources of different fashion inspiration for men. Currently, Men are majorly looking to social media influencers, stars and fashion bloggers for ideas on how to style their attire and stay up to date as per the trends. The increase of athleisure is also worth noting as a trend in men’s fashion. Athleisure is defined as clothing that is manufactured for athletic or sports activities but can also be worn in everyday work. This trend and shopping preference has become increasingly more popular in recent years, with men looking the comfort and functionality of athletic-inspired clothing.
Men’s and Women’s Shopping Habits:
1) As compared to women it is seen that men have different buying habits and preferences. Men tend to shop only shop once or twice per month, whereas when it comes to women, they can go shopping several times a month. Adding to this, they prefer to buy stylish, comfy clothing. Men’s shopping habit includes purchasing clothing with intricate detailing, while women prefer mixing and matching different items. While the average man may not strive to be as stylish as Ryan Reynolds or Justin Timberlake, he does strive to look fashionable.
2) It has been analyzed that, men tend to shop less than women do in terms of shopping habits. They do, however, spend more money than their female counterparts. They are actually more interested towards purchasing electronics, cars, and other things. Men also basically spend more money than women do. According to the reports and polls, they tends purchase more costlier clothing than women. Men who don’t want to shop more frequently are more likely to purchase cheaper clothing.
3) Men and women have different shopping habits and taste. Men are more likely to do shopping when they feel like it, even if women shop more frequently than their counterparts. While men may shop three times per week or even more than once every month, women are more interested to shop on Friday nights. Men probably won’t shop a lot if he enjoys fashion and style.
4) They may look different, but they do share some common shopping habits. Nevertheless, men’s often spend more money than women; with women spending on fashion being double that of men spending. The typical men consumer doesn’t want to be a fashion icon, but he does want to feel good in his clothes and have a wardrobe that reflects his sense of style and fashion. Men’s want to look well, and they don’t have time for unfitting clothing.
5) When it comes to fashion both sexes are equally interested, notwithstanding their disparities in taste and fashion. The typical men buyer doesn’t try to look like Justin Timberlake or Ryan Reynolds. While their female counterparts like and respect them, the typical men consumer doesn’t have the same fashion taste.
In today’s scenario, it is clear that men are growing interested in fashion and prepared to make investments in their attire, which has resulted in substantial changes in men’s buying and shopping habits. Because of this, the men’s fashion market is expanding, with more focus on fit, sustainability, online shopping, brand loyalty, and designer clothing. In the future, these trends are probably going to increase and keep influencing how men dress and their shopping habits. The trend of purchasing adaptable clothing and accessories that can be used for various events is also on the demand.
- Men’s Fashion and Shopping Habits Research Paper, Oct 11th, 2019 https://ivypanda.com/essays/mens-fashion/
- Men’s Fashion And Shopping Habits, Byupeksha Jayalath, April 20, 2023 https://www.commonwealthunion.com/mens-fashion-and-shopping-habits/
- Men’s Fashion and Shopping Habits, APRIL 4, 2022 https://i-heart-fashion.co.uk/mens-fashion-and-shopping-habits/
You may also like: 10 Important Tips to Be a Fashionista
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.