Fashion Accessories: Types, Trends and Importance
Shubham Anil Jain
Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail Limited
What is Fashion Accessories?
An accessory which is used to contribute, in a secondary form, to an individual’s outfit is called a fashion accessory. They are either selected to complete an outfit and complement the wearer’s look. They have the power to further express an individual’s identity and personality. Accessories come in different shapes, sizes, hues, etc. The term came into use in the 20th century. Examples of various fashion accessories are jewellery, gloves, handbags, hats, belts, scarves, watches, sunglasses, pins, stockings, bow ties, leggings, ties, suspenders, tights, wide choice of beams and accessories. Accessories add various elements such as color, style and class to an outfit, and create a certain look, but they may also have practical functions.
Different Types of Fashion Accessories:
1. Bangles and Bracelets
These are fashion accessories that are particularly worn around the wrist. The basic difference between a bangle and a bracelet is that a bangle is more rigid in structure than a bracelet and is more circular in shape. One can also count bands around the wrist like friendship bands.
2. Cuff Links and Studs
Cufflinks and studs are accessories particularly used to set the cuffs of dress shirts – they fasten the buttonholes on both sides of the shirt cuff. It is worn by both men and women along with dress shirts (with formal wear especially tuxedo shirts).
3. Brooches and Pins
These fashion accessories are traditionally used as fastenings, holding folds of fabric together. Brooches are sometimes decorative pins. Pins when attached with an ornament on top it becomes a brooch. Brooches can also be used as a decorative accessory.
They are also called Spectacles, Eyeglasses are the most common type of eyewear worn to correct eye vision problems – it simply consists of a frame that holds two pieces of glass or plastic. Other than its functional use, it also serves as an accessory that decorates a face.
It is a head covering which is worn for various reasons, including protection against weather conditions, ceremonial reasons such as university graduation, religious reasons, safety, or as a fashion accessory.
You may also like: Different Types of Caps Names with Pictures
6. Necklaces and Pendants
Necklace is one of the important accessory in fashion. Necklaces are accessories worn around the neck. Necklaces can either be short or long; they can be paired with pendants and lockets. Necklaces could be sometimes a simple chain with a lone pendant or studded fully with pearls and beads; minimalist or statement; made of plastic or metal. They are one of the most important accessories that can enhance the face and body of men and women.
You may also like: 5 Accessories that Make a Woman More Personable
A fragrant scent that is applied/sprayed on our body – Perfumes are supposed to be the finishing accessory – the thing that compliments everything else as a final touch. Eau de toilette, cologne, body spray are all alternative names given to the perfumes that we use to mask our body odour or make ourselves more attractive scent wise.
8. Purses (Wallets)
A purse is a small pouch for carrying small items and is carried by hand. A wallet is a flat purse with separate slots for keeping money and a number of cards. Simple leather wallets are considered to be a very stylish accessory by both men and women.
Rings are great as accessories in fashion clothing. The plain wedding ring is worn on the left hand on the fourth-finger for women; Men wear the wedding ring on the right hand. On the wedding day, the engagement ring is shifted to the third-finger on the right hand.
It is seen that, the most expensive watch in the world will set one back by about 55 Million dollars. A basic watch costs very little but no one buys them anymore – and for a reason. People spend a lot of money on watches because as an accessory it has no parallel. From the functional use of a time keeping device, watch has ascended far into superstardom among other accessories.
Latest Trends in Fashion Accessories:
1. Chunky Platform High Heel Boots
Every few years, it is found that chunky shoes comes forefront. Now, one can observe that there is a modern distortion on the iconic ’60s and ’70s platforms. From ankle-length to something over the knee, this is a huge trend that will sweep the fashion scene. There are many style such as the go-go boots of the Mod era or adore Prada’s SS22 style, for trying the wear the footwear. One can add a trench coat, a midi skirt, or a mini dress to showcase your pins and these bold boots.
2. Beret with the Net
This is one of the effortless and stylish accessory just got an upgrade this fashion season. Escape to Paris without leaving the country by adding a netted beret into the wardrobe. This kind of combination of a fascinator and hat is found excellent for a tailored ensemble, such as a sundress or belted shirt dress. One should keep the silhouette of the outfit and jewelry minimal to emphasize the bold headwear. To highlight in the public one can place it on the head, covering most of your forehead, and an inch behind your ears.
3. Pearl Jewellery
In the current fashion season, pearl is a cream gems, and there are plenty of ways one can add them to the daily outfits. Style them in the hair or as an anklet is the cutest way to highlight the trend. One can always don them the traditional way, such as earrings or necklaces – opt for a baroque or unique shape for a modern twist.
4. Layered Double Chain Necklaces
This fashion year, limelight has been gained by layering multiple chains over each other to create a multidimensional and trendy look. It also helps in creating the illusion of a longer neck and looks great with a plunging neckline. This is a classic piece of jewelry that public will be wearing for years to come.
Importance of Fashion Accessories:
- Although fashion accessory is a secondary supplementary to a user’s clothing, but it is something without which the outfit will not look complete.
- There are often a great style in the details. Just like the fashion itself, the shapes, silhouettes and colors of the fashion accessories also change over time. In general it is very difficult to find cool new looks but a trendy bag or catwalk style necklace can be combined with older clothes to create new clothes.
- Paying attention on some fun, new, fashionable accessories can enhance your wardrobe throughout the season even it is not in accordance with the current fashion trends.
- Accessories and clothes are equally important to complete the attire, working together to create a harmony that expresses your style and who you are.
- Accessories give more importance to the personal style, taste and preferences. They also offer unlimited opportunities for dresses, helping one to do the best of each item you have. Clothes take up more space physically in your closet and clothes, but accessories are important details to complete each appearance.
- Accessories are as essential as clothing, offering a whole new opportunity to express yourself. With accessories you can create a fluent style waves up from head to toe.
- To get a stylish and an elegant look, add the combination of these fashion accessories to match the outfit to the closet and for this one need to follow the latest trends in accessories.
- Fashion accessories can serve with the same purpose as fashion jewelry or as accessories will be used on different areas than typical jewelry, they can be used as a more unique way of highlighting the fashion accent.
It is observed that, fashion accessories have only recently been introduced into the formal retail experience. In today’s world, fashion accessories are no longer need based purchases but give customers the opportunity to make a fashion statement and present it to audience. The growing need among young urban customers to express their uniqueness has set the stage for the entrance of many international as well as home-grown Indian companies into the evolving world of fashion accessories. The ever growing online market has also played a major role in the growth of the fashion accessories industry, offering a huge selection of accessories to shoppers all across India.
- 10 Top Accessories Trends From Spring/Summer 2022 Fashion Week, Oct 29, 2021 | By Ally Feiam, https://www.thetrendspotter.net/accessories-trends-from-spring-summer-2022/
- Decoding the future of fashion accessories market in India, By Jacqueline Kapur-, April 18, 2019, https://www.indiaretailing.com/2019/04/18/fashion/fashion-accessories-market-in-india-2/
- Ariel Beaujot (June 2012). Victorian Fashion Accessories. Berg. p. 1. ISBN9781847886828., https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashion_accessory#cite_ref-Beaujot_5-0
- Top 10 Fashion Accessories for Every Wardrobe, https://www.vestiairecollective.com/journal/ten-fashion-accessories-you-must-have/
- Diamond, J.; Diamond, E. (2013). The World of Fashion. Bloomsbury Academic. p. 348. ISBN978-1-60901-527-5. Retrieved 2021-04-27.
You may also like:
- Different Types of Fashion Trims and Accessories for Dress Decoration
- Why Fashion Accessories Important in Fashion Industry
- List of Garment Accessories: Types, Features, Functions and Uses
- Different Types of Garments Accessories with Pictures
- Different Types of Trims Used in Garments
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.