Clothing and Textiles is the most essential element for our day to day life. Every day we have to must wear cloth. Without textiles we can’t consider our existence. Textile differentiates between ancient to modern and social people. It also expresses social position. To produce qualified clothing they are no alternative way without textile technologist. Every day the textile technology and the methods are developing. Textile Engineering is a very popular course in the world that is fast growing popularity in recent times. Higher education in textile engineering is necessary. For helping the meritorious students a list of the best textile engineering universities in the world are given in this article.
This list is created According to academic curriculum, quality of education, scholarships offered and admission requirements and after all recent year’s performance. Information is also taken from QS Global World Rankings and Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
List of Top 10 Textile Universities in the World:
- North Carolina State University (USA)
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln (USA)
- University of Manchester (UK)
- University of Leeds (UK)
- The University of Bolton (UK)
- Dresden University of Technology (Germany)
- De Montfort University (UK)
- Loughborough University (UK)
- Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh (UK)
- Saxion University of Applied Sciences (Netherlands)
Top ten universities for textiles:
A short description with address, courses, tuition fees, rankings of above famous textile universities are given below.
1. North Carolina State University (USA)
North Carolina State University at Raleigh is a public, coeducational, research university located in Raleigh, North Carolina, United States. Commonly known as N.C. It is the largest four-year college in the state.
At a glance of NCSU:
- The University’s master’s degree in textiles will prepare students for a career in the textile supply chain, a research laboratory, a government agency, or higher education.
- Applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree in textiles or a related area, and preferably have had work experience in a textiles field.
- NC State University is ranked 295th in QS World University Rankings® 2021.
- North Carolina State University’s ranking in the 2021 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #80.
- Its in-state tuition and fees are $9,101; out-of-state tuition and fees are $29,220.
- Student-faculty ratio 15:1
- 12 colleges representing all major academic fields
- More than 300 undergraduate and graduate degree programs offered through 68 departments
- NC State Extension serves citizens in all 100 counties and the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians
- $1.4 billion endowment, among the top 90 largest higher-education endowments in the country
- $1.714 billion budget for fiscal year 2020
- Polymer and Color Chemistry,
- Textile Engineering,
- Textile Technology,
- Fashion and Textile Design and
- Fashion and Textile Management
- Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management Department Masters (Master of Science in Textiles, Master of Textiles)
- Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science Department Masters (Master of Science in Textile Chemistry, Master of Science in Textile Engineering)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Fiber and Polymer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Textile Technology Management
- Graduate Certificate in Nonwovens Science and Engineering
- Graduate Certificate in Textile Brand Management and Marketing
- Graduate Certificate in Consumer Textile Product Design and Development
- Graduate Certificate in Textile Supply Chain Management
2. University of Nebraska – Lincoln (USA)
University of Nebraska – Lincoln is one of the top Public universities in Lincoln, United States. It is ranked #561-570 in QS Global World Rankings 2021. It is the state’s oldest and largest university and the flagship university of the University of Nebraska system.
- It offers the Master of Arts in Textiles, Clothing and Design degree for those interested in analyzing the complex ways gender, class, ethnicity, aesthetics, politics, religion and technology find expression in the textile arts, quilt making traditions, design and culture.
- University of Nebraska–Lincoln is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Merchandising: Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
- Textile Science: Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
- Textiles & Apparel Design: Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
- Textiles, Merchandising & Fashion Design / Communications: Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
- Graduate Certificate (Quilt Studies): Certificate
- Master of Arts (Apparel Design, Material Culture & Textiles Studies): Master of Arts (M.A.)
- Master of Science (Merchandising, Textile Science): Master of Science (M.S.)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Apparel Design, Material Culture & Textile Studies, Merchandising, Textile Science): Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
3. University of Manchester (UK)
Ranked 27th in the world according to the QS World University Rankings® 2021, the University of Manchester is a prestigious red brick university. The University of Manchester is very renowned for the Textile Engineering Courses and Degrees. They provide several Textile Diploma, Honors and M.Sc. Degree in Campus based and online format within part time & Full time facilities. Textile related courses are Textile Technology, International Fashion Retail, Textile Design, Textile and Fashion.
- B.Sc. Fashion Marketing
- B.Sc. Fashion Management
- B.Sc. Fashion Technology
- B.Sc. Fashion Buying and Merchandising
- MEng Materials Science and Engineering with Textile Technology
4. University of Leeds (UK)
University of Leeds is one of the top Public universities in Leeds, United Kingdom. It is ranked #91 in QS Global World Rankings 2021. The University of Leeds is a British Redbrick university located in the city of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It is another famous university for textile engineering.
Tuition fee: International: £19,750 (per year)
- BA Art and Design
- BA Fashion Design
- BA Fashion Marketing
- BA Graphic and Communication Design
- MA Advertising and Design
- MA Design
- MA Fashion, Enterprise and Society
- MA Global Fashion Management
- M.Sc. Textile Sustainability and Innovation
5. The University of Bolton (UK)
Bolton University is one of the most popular and ancient university of United Kingdom. This university offers the Full Time and Part Time Msc Degree in Textile Engineering. Their Msc Degree name is International Textile Business & Innovation.
- It offers the part-time FdSc (Foundation Degree) in Fashion & Textiles. Students will learn about design and manufacture, health and safety, product evaluation, supply chain management, product development and marketing.
- The course is recognized by the Textile Institute as satisfying the academic requirements for the award of LTI (Licenciateship of the Textile Institute).
- BA (Hons) Textiles and Surface Design
- BA (Hons) Fashion with foundation year
- BA (Hons) Fashion
- BA (Hons) Animation and Illustration
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design
6. Dresden University of Technology (Germany)
The Technische Universität Dresden is the largest institute of higher education in the city of Dresden, the largest university in Saxony and one of the 10 largest universities in Germany with 32,389 students as of 2018. According to the QS Engineering and Technology Ranking the university ranked 113th worldwide and 5th in Germany. According to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings the university ranked 157th worldwide and in engineering & technology the university ranked 90th worldwide.
- Master Degree: Textile and Clothing Technology
7. De Montfort University (UK)
De Montfort University is a public research and teaching university situated in the city of Leicester, England, adjacent to the River Soar and the Leicester Castle Gardens. De Montfort University is ranked 601 in World University Rankings by Times Higher Education. It is the best place to find out how students rate their study and living experience at universities from all over the world.
- Fashion Textile Design BA (Hons)
- Textile Design BA (Hons)
- Fashion Design BA (Hons)
- Fashion Communication and Styling BA (Hons)
- Fashion and Textiles MA
- Contour Fashion Innovation MA
- Design Innovation MA/MSc
- Design Management and Entrepreneurship MA
- Fashion Management and Marketing MA
8. Loughborough University (UK)
Loughborough University is one of the top Public universities in Loughborough, United Kingdom. It is ranked #226 in QS Global World Rankings 2021. Loughborough University is a public research university located in the market town of Loughborough, Leicestershire, in the East Midlands of England.
- Undergraduate Degrees: Textile Design BA (Hons)
9. Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh (UK)
Heriot-Watt University is one of the top Public universities in Edinburgh, United Kingdom. It is ranked #301 in QS Global World Rankings 2021. A leading UK university for business and industry with an established reputation for world class teaching and pioneering research. It is situated at Edinburgh EH14 1AS, United Kingdom.
- Fashion Technology
- Interior Design
- Communication Design
- Fashion Branding and Promotion
- MA Fashion and Textiles Design
- MA Interior Architecture and Design
- MSc Fashion Textiles Management
10. Saxion University of Applied Sciences (Netherlands)
Saxion University of Applied Sciences is one of the largest institutions of higher education in the Netherlands, with over 24,000 students (and still growing!). Saxion is among the largest Universities of Applied Sciences in the Netherlands, offering a broad range of Bachelor & Master Courses and is regulated by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science, which is the is Dutch national system of legislation and quality control for educational institutions. It offers a one-year Bachelor in Textile Engineering & Management (Final Year) program for those who already have a good grounding in materials and construction and who wish to learn more about the international clothing and textiles business.
Tuition fee: €6000 for 1 year
- Fashion and Textile Technologies
- Maximum information are taken from listed universities respective websites
- Worldranking blog
Note: If you have any information to add or corrections to make to this list, please comment below. Your suggestion will be warmly accepted. I think this list of top 10 textile universities will be helpful for students who are trying to admission in famous universities.
You may also like:
- List of Top Textile Universities/Colleges in India
- Top 10 Private Textile Universities in Bangladesh
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.