Different Types of T-shirts with Lots of Graphics
B.Sc. in Fashion Designing
College of Home Science
Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India
Graphic design, also known as communication design, is the art and practice of planning and projecting ideas and experiences with visual and textual content. The form of the communication can be physical or virtual, and may include images, words, or graphic forms. Such a communication form can be used in the most common and favorite attire of our wardroom i.e. the TEEs. We have seen many and have many types of printed t-shirts, they could be either in picture form (the pictorial way) or the text form (the typography). These tees were seen first between the Spanish-American war and 1913, when the U.S. Navy began issuing them as undergarments. A T-shirt (or tee shirt, or tee) is a style of fabric shirt, named after the T shape of the body and sleeves. It is normally associated with short sleeves, a round neck line known as a crew neck, with no collar. Often boys in olden times wore them while doing chores and playing outside, eventually opening up the idea of wearing them as general-purpose casual clothing. There are various types of t-shirts with various designs in market.
Printed T-shirt is favorite clothing among the youngsters. They often use their clothing to portray their personality and style. T-shirts with different types of designs and patterns and vibrant colors helps them just with that. With changing time and fashion, these T-shirts have also seen a lot of changes. There have been many innovations and technological advances in t-shirt printing that has made this clothing even more modern and popular among people of all age groups.
Printing: Done with the help of mesh-based screen either manually or with help of machines, using different color base as the requirement may be. It can also be done with impressing or embossing or heat transfers.
Embroidery: T-shirts are made with embroidery and appliqué work also.
Dye Sublimation: To print full colors designs on light colored T-shirts, the dye sublimation method is considered best. However, this method is a bit more expensive than the other methods and cannot be used for most of the natural fabric as it is mostly suitable for fabrics like polyester.
Computerized Printing: Using computerized printing methods for printed T-shirts is best for small orders as this method is suitable to print complex designs and multi colors. Heat is used to stick cut vinyl onto a paper and later heat pressed on the fabric. This type of print is of high quality, durable and can be used easily to customize different types of T-shirts.
Direct Printing: Another simple method of printing which is most commonly used at homes is direct printing on the fabric. In this method different types of inks are directly applied onto the cloth by hand to get the desired results. This method reduces various steps included in other printing methods. The design patterns in direct printing does not have heavy feel like screen printing. However it is a little difficult to cover a large area of the cloth in this method and cloth itself is the brightest part of the design.
Based on different types of graphics tees can be classified into:-
1. Abstract tees:-
Abstract T-shirts, tank tops, sweatshirts, phone cases and art prints are a blend of shapes, colors and lines. Abstract designs do not have much subject matter; rather the design is more about color and pattern. This leads to energetic design, unusual, color patterns and enticing line work.
2. Animal’s tees:- There are plenty of animal T-shirts of birds, cats, sharks, dinosaurs and butterfly designs.
3. Anime tees:- These are the comics with character. These are original characters that star in their own movie, comic book, or cartoon.
4. Character tees:- A monkey in outer space, a penguin with headphones, here you can find tee with different characters .
5. Comic tees:- Bang! Splat…. Comic designs are always popular with the cartoon and narrative style. There are tons of custom characters and great story lines in these comic T shirts, tank tops, sweatshirts, phone cases and art prints.
6. Food & Drink tees:- Get our hands on our deliciously juicy apparel, phone cases and art prints featuring some yummy food and tasty drinks.
7. Funny tees:- There are thousands of funny T shirts, tank tops, sweatshirts, phone cases and art prints on the internet and in the retail stores. But are they really that funny?
8. Games tees:- Are you a Mario, Zelda, or Pokémon fanatic? There are so many classic and new gaming T shirts, tank tops, sweatshirts, phone cases and art prints.
9. Geometric tees:- The latest trend setter this year, geometric T shirts prints are built with triangles, shapes, line patterns and geometry.
10. Illustrative tees:- Illustrative T shirts prints have that hand drawn effect. Most of them are brilliantly hand drawn and then rendered into digital art.
11. Modern tees:-
12. Music tees:- Orchestrate harmonies of sound through these music T shirts, tank tops, sweatshirts, phone cases and art prints, from robots made out of stereos, to swinging on cassette tape; if you are into sound waves then theses musical themed designs are for you.
13. Retro tees:- These tee are setting new trend in this year 2016. Retro T shirts prints have a mix between the modern and vintage looks. The postmodern designs have classic themes with modern style designs.
14. Street art tees:- Street art includes the urban tattoo styles and graffiti on well-designed T-shirts, tank tops, sweatshirts, phone cases and art prints.
15. Typography tees:- This includes the newspaper, the script, the handwriting and written word. These typography T-shirts feature letters, numbers and the alphabets as designs for printing.
16. Vintage tees:- Now in latest fashion trend.
Vintage T-shirts from the old school, the pure classic styles that made it through time still have a success story. The slightly worn look is a trendy industry style from way back.
If you do decide to try a trend, make sure it’s a good fit for your project and audience. Or just save most of your experimentation for personal projects.
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.