Benefits of Work Study in Garments Industry
Noor Ahmed Raaz
Faculty Member, Dept. of Textile Engineering,
Atish Dipankar University of Science & Technology
What is work study?
Work study is not a new section in garments industry. But it is recently a popular and very much important in garments industry. In garment production is carried out by all lot of people including top and bottom label. The best possible use of man, machine and materials at present available condition is done by work study. It helps to achieve the smooth production flow with minimum interruptions. So work study is the continue mean of increasing productivity of garments industry. Most of the activities of work study is done by the industrial engineering department. Method study and time study is also done by the industrial engineering department in garment industry.
Work study deals in apparel industry to realize technical and managerial requirement. In order to improve the productivity and reduce the excessive cost involve with product by the industrial engineering principle. In apparel manufacturing work study principles can be used in the cutting section, sewing section and finishing section as well. It is generally done by industrial engineering department. Where IE is the systematic examination of methods of carrying out activities so as to establish standard of performance for those activities.
A garment requires all lot of operations of different types. In apparel industry is operations are done by efficient workers. Work study department determine their efficiency of working and set the workers in proper place for the operations by line balancing. So work study determines the operation properly as a result best possible man, machine and materials are made up and such a way production in industry is increasing day by day.
Advantages and benefits of work study:
1. Work study can considerably increase productivity. People can benefit from less treating work, better working condition and, because an efficient company can meet competition successfully, better employment prospect.
2. Work study raises efficiency by reorganization of work. It therefore need involve little or no capital expenditure. Yet, where such an out lay is desirable, work study can ensure that it is spent to the best advantage.
3. Work study is systematic; its procedure is designed to ensure that no factors affecting the situation are over looked.
4. It is the best means available for setting standard of performance.
5. And although open seen as the basis for incentives, real value lies in the information provided for work scheduling, estimating deliveries and for accurate costing.
6. Work study produced savings very quickly and these gains these gains continue as long as the improved methods involved are maintain.
7. Work study is universal tool. It is not confined to the workshop but can be quickly effective in the office warehouse and in distribution, etc.
8. Work study is the most searching technique available because it takes every into account. It reveals weakness often over looked.
You may also like:
- Industrial Engineering Formulas for Textile Students and Professionals
- Line Balancing and Bottleneck in Garment Production Line
- How to Determine Seam Strength in Garment Industries
- How to Calculate the Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) of Apparel Industries
- Method Study in Apparel Industry – A Systematic Approach
It’s me, a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. I’m working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. I’m also a contributor of Wikipedia.