Repair, Maintenance, Setting and Replacement of Different Parts of Overlock Sewing Machine
Md. Nayimur Rahman
Abdur Rab Serniabat Textile Engineering College, Barisal
Machine are subjected to deterioration due to their use and exposure to environment condition. Process of deterioration if unchecked culminate in rendering these facilities unserviceable and brings them to standstill. Industry therefore has a choice but to attend to them from time to time, to repair to maintain and to recondition them so as to elongate their life to the extent it is economically and physically possible to do so. Thus repair, maintenance, accurate setting and replacement of components assure importance as an engineering function.
An overlock stitch sews over the edge of one or two pieces of cloth for edging, hemming or seaming. Usually an overlock sewing machine will cut the edges of the cloth as they are fed through (such machines are called ‘sergers’), though some are made without cutters. The inclusion of automated cutters allows overlock machines to create finished seams easily and quickly. The overlock machine is different from the lockstitch sewing machine, cut the edge of fabrics, and cover two parts of fabrics by stitching. Overlocking is also referred to as ‘overedging’, ‘merrowing’ or ‘serging’. Though ‘serging’ technically refers to overlocking with cutters, in practice the four terms are used interchangeably. Overlock stitches are extremely versatile, as they can be used for decoration, reinforcement or construction. In this article I will discuss on repair, maintenance, setting and replacement of different parts of overlock sewing machine.
- To know the repair procedure of different components used in overlock sewing machine.
- To lean the way of maintenance of the overlock sewing machine for its longer life.
- To know the different setting points of the over edge stitch machine.
- To gather knowledge on how and when the replacement needs to be carried out.
- To acquit ourselves with various machinery tools.
- Flat screw driver.
- Star screw driver
- Lubricating oil.
The Repair, maintenance, setting and replacement procedure of overlock sewing machine are described in below-
Repair work is carried out when a component requires slight modification. To carry out such job the machine needs to be switched off first. The component under repair is then screwed off by suitable apparatus. After repairing the part is fixed to its designed place and hence its correctness I measured by running the machine. In an over edge sewing machine looper, presser foot, tensioner, check spring, motor belt etc can undergo repair job.
Maintenance of overlock sewing machine can be of different types. But following types are important in this aspect
- Routine maintenance: Lubrication and regular inspection are the constituents of routine maintenance. Lubrication ensures long life and safe working of all the equipment’s. Inspection tries to detect faults in equipment’s so that repairs and replacements may be undertaken at the right time.
- Schedule maintenance: This type of maintenance provides for inspection, overhaul, lubrication and servicing of the machine at predetermined dates. Overhauling of machine, cleaning of all components is normally done on this machine. It involves opening of the machine into its smallest components and carry out lubrication.
The setting of the over edge stitch machine is of immense importance. Folling setting points needs to be ensured before running the machine.
1. Needle: Needle undergoes accurate setting to ensure proper sewing. Needle is attached by means of a screw which needs to be tightened enough to produce easy sewing. Again, the needle size is also important from fabric point of view. In this machine, one or two needles may be used and it may be 3 thread, 4 thread or 5 thread machines.
2. Stitch density controller: Its controls the no of stitches per inch. Before starting the machine, stitches per inch is determined by rotating the knob and fixing it at the desired position.
3. Pressure foot: The type of pressure foot to be used and its proper stetting is important, which is ensured by proper attachment with the moor through machine pulley.
4. Tensioner: Proper stitching depends on appropriate tension on sewing thread. The tensioner is defective and if it is not properly adjusted then the stitch may be tight or loose or the sewing thread may be break down, so, tensioners are to be adjusted properly, in this machine three or more thread may be used. so, her more tensioning device is used.
5. Motor: Motor rpm depicts the speed of the machine. The rpm is controlled by tightening or losing the belt over machine and motor pulley.
the replacement is revealed when the relation of equipment is no more remains an economical proposition. A replacement is affected when the equipment is subjected to complete breakage which cannot use even after repair or the components has become so obsolete that affects production or it has crossed its expiry date.
Over lock stitching machine is necessary for stitching garments fabric. By doing this experiment, we can know about the various parts of the machine and its parts setting and its working procedure. We can learn its repairing procedure also. So, we have learned about this machine mechanism properly and maintain proper lubrication for smooth operation.
You may also like:
- Sewing Machine Engineering and Attachments
- Common Sewing Machine Problems and Remedies
- Causes and Remedies of Sewing Problems
- Anatomy of a Sewing Machine Needle and Functions
- Different Parts of a Sewing Machine Needle with Functions
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.