Analysis of Plain Woven Fabric Specification
- To know the fabric specification.
- To know the raw material of fabric.
- To produce exactly the similar fabric.
A piece of plain woven fabric.
- Counting glass,
- Beesleys balance,
- Twist tester,
- GSM cutter,
- Graph paper.
Analysis of Woven Fabric:
1. Weave plan: In graph paper the gaps between the lines are considered according to X axis as weft threads and according to Y axis as warp threads. Now indicating the up threads by filling gaps and down threads without filling gaps the weave plan is drawn.
2. Drafting plan: According to British system drafting plan is drawn at the top of weave plan. Here two heald shafts are used to draw the drafting plan.
3. Lifting plan: The lifting plan is drawn at the right side of the weave plan.
4. Face side and Back side: As the cloth is constructed with plain fabric construction, face and back side is not same. Face side appearance is smooth and glassy than back side appearance.
5. Direction of warp and weft: Direction of both warp and weft are indicated by arrow marks as shown in the sample. Selvedge direction is always warp direction and warp direction is more straight and parallel than weft direction. No. of yarn in warp is more than weft.
6. Raw material: Both weft warp yarns are cotton.
7. Thread density: No. of ends per inch or EPI =93, No. of picks per inch or PPI = 71.
8. Yarn count:
Warp yarn count
Weft yarn count
Count of warp yarn is 28 and weft yarn is 30.
9. Yarn twist:
Twist of warp yarn is 48 and weft yarn is 37.
10. Twist direction: Both warp and weft yarns are twisted in ‘Z’ direction.
11. Design of fabric: The fabric is designed as one up and one down i.e. if all even numbered warp ends are raised at one pick then all odd numbered ones are raised at other picks.
12. GSM calculation: We take one square inch fabric sample and find its weight 0.07 gm.
We know 1 inch = 2.54 cm i.e. 0.0254 m.
So, 1 sq. inch = (0.0254 x 0.0254) sq. m.
Now, (0.0254X0.0254) sq. m sample wt. = 0.05gm
1 sq. m sample wt. = 77.5 gm
Therefore GSM of fabric is 77.5gms/sq. inch
13. Repeat size: 2×2. The repeat contains 2 ends and 2 picks.
14. Type of loom: Tappet loom is used to produce this plain woven fabric.
15. End use: Different types of apparel such as shirt, lungi, shari; bed sheet, bedcover, pillow cover, and many other uses.
Analysis of plain woven fabric specification is very important to know about the fabric which is needed to reproduce or to change structure or design of fabric. By this practical I gathered the knowledge how to analyses primarily a simple plain structure of woven fabric which will be very helpful in future.
You may also like:
- Woven Fabric Structure and Analysis
- How to Calculate GSM of Woven and Knitted Fabric
- Decorative Methods for Fabric Construction
- What is Cover Factor? | Cover Factor of Different Types of Woven Fabric
- Basic Elements of Woven Fabric Design
- Determination of Crimp Percentage of Woven Fabric
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.