Agro Textile Products and Their Properties and Uses
Bachelor of Fashion Technology
Angel college of Engineering and Technology, Tiruppur, India
Many people are stressed due to the lack of awareness about the progress in the technology related to agriculture. But still we are talking “Agriculture is the back bone of our country”. This review works as an introduction about the agro-textile products available currently to bang the agriculture. This gives the idea about the properties of the agro products. The environmental condition for each crop differs accordingly. It may include the common climatic conditions required for the cultivation and the role of our technical textiles in it. Textiles have great contribution towards the agriculture through which the ideas are generating gradually.
In order to reduce the stress among the farmers and to overcome the problems faced by them, technologies are providing lot of inventions.
KEY WORDS: Agrotextiles, resistance, property, crop, application..
Textile industries are booming in several areas such as technical textiles which includes agro textiles, geotextiles, smart textiles, intelligence textiles, etc,.. in this order it is contributing a lot towards agro textiles. In order to reduce the usage of chemical mixed fertilizers, pesticides where they can also affect the growth and health of the living it is replaced with textile materials. With the help of several innovative technologies it become simpler.
By incorporating the different kinds of fibers with suitable eco friendly adhesives the agro products have been produced. They are manufactured with basic textile manufacturing process like weaving, knitting, bonding which produces woven, knitted and non-woven materials. According to the end use the products are produced.
It is important to mind the process where the material is it be used like crop production, nets, horticulture, underground sheets, etc,.. The size, shape, color, density, weight, properties of material decides the purpose it is made of. Generally used fibers are polyethylene, polypropylene, jute, silk, hemp fiber, wool, bamboo, and other fibers. Selection of fiber depends on the properties required for the product based on the endues of it.
CLASSIFICATION OF AGRO TEXTILE PRODUCTS
According to the book “Textiles for Agro textiles”, it can be classified based on three categories.
- Based on fabric production technique.
- Based on the area of application.
- Based on the products.
Based on fabric production technique three ways are followed:
- Non woven
Woven fabric is a textile formed by weaving, through interlacing of warp and weft yarns.
Knitted fabric is a textile formed by weaving, through interloping of coarse and Wales. It is very flexible than woven fabric.
Non woven fabrics are formed as sheet or web structures bonded together by entangling of fibers.
Based on the area of application of agro textiles for,
- Agrotextiles for crop production.
- Agrotextiles for horticulture, floriculture and forestry.
- Agrotextiles for animal husbandry and aqua culture.
- Agrotextiles for agro engineering related applications.
Based on the products,
- Shade nets
- Windshield nets
- Bird protection nets
- Crop covers
- Plant nets
- Root ball nets
- Anti-insect nets
- Harvesting nets
- Mulch mats/ground covers
- Anti-hail nets
- Finishing nets
- Turf reinforcement/protection nets
- Pallet net covers
- Woven sacks/bags
- Leno bags
Some products are briefly described below:
1. Shade Nets:
The nets which are made to protect the crops from the sunlight, ultraviolet radiations and so,. Which affects them. These nets are made of different sizes according to the purpose. To provide correct shade for individual plants selection of shade percentage is important.
It helps to reduce the time of cultivation and half season cultivations are also possible. Enables more production in the short period of time.
2. Windshield Nets:
In order to protect the crops, small trees, plants from the strong wing wiend shield nets are used. It can be fixed with the help of poles to the direction of wind flow. When the force of wing crossed the withstanding capacity of the plant, crop or small tree this shield helps them to be strong. It differs from each crop. So these nets are produced with at most strength and durability.
3. Bird Protection Nets:
Bird protection nets are manufactured using polypropylene like yarns. They are used to avoid the huge losses occurred due to the birds which often attacks the plants for honey, fruits, flowers,.
These are made to lay on the crops and also on trees which gives fruits, so birds cannot enter into it. It will have enough holes as to pass the required light to them.
4. Root Ball Net:
The nets are made to keep the roots adhering with the soil. It helps to form the good compatibility between roots and soil. It can be planted anywhere but not in the frozen and drought land.
Elasticity present in the net helps the roots to grow safer and earlier. Gaps present in the nets passes the water. When the roots are out of nets it means that plant has been grown and net must be changed.
5. Harvesting Nets:
These nets are used to collect the fruits falling from the trees like apple, mango,. It avoids the damage to the fruits and loss to the people. To make the nets strong along with the better elasticity knitting has been used widely. Similarly all the products are having it’s own characteristics related to the end use.
PROPERTIES REQUIRED FOR AGRO PRODUCTS:
- Resistance to solar-radiation: the product should withstand solar radiation according to the external environment without creating harm to crops.
- Resistance to weather: with respect to the climatic changes product must work in effect for production.
- Resistance to ultraviolet radiation: product should avoid the degradation of molecular chains due to ultraviolet rays and keep them away.
- Retention of water: the water poured is to be segregated and let the crop to absorb whenever it is essential.
- Biodegradability: as the products are placed over and under the crops it is important to have biodegradable property.
- Weight of the product: in order to let the crops grow without disturbance less weight materials to be selected.
- Resistance to microorganisms: to protect the living being around the crop field it should resist microorganisms.
- Construction of material: stable constructions are essential for long life of product.
Thus the study shows the basic introduction regarding agro textile products and their properties.
- Handbook for agrotextiles, Dr. Karuvu Sambhasivarao,
- Textile at Agriculture Application, by Hiren Jaiswal, Shyam Barhanpurkar, Swati Chandak, Neha Kabra.
- Application of textile in agriculture, Mr. Sunil. K. Agarwal Asst. Professor, Department of Textile Engineering, College of Engineering & Technology, Akola, Maharashtra.
- The Indian Textile Journal-Application of Technical Textiles, Agro Textile and Home Textile.
You may also like: Agro Textiles: Properties, Manufacturing and Applications
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.