Interview Questions on Dress Draping and Fitting – Useful Question & Answers for Facing the Interviews
Dept of Fashion Design & Arts,
Hindustan University, Chennai, India
Questions and answers about dress draping and fitting:
1. The shifting or moving of a pattern from a marked position towards a designated guide line is called————————–
a) Dots. b) Pivot. c) Fold. d) Slash.
2.————————— is to take up excess fabric of a specified width and taper it to notching at one or both ends.used to aid in fitting the garment over the body curves.
a) Tuck. b) Pleat. c) Dart. d) Gather..
3. A straight cut (longer than a clip) from the outer edge of the fabric into the style line of the garment is known as———————-
a) Ease. b) Dart legs.
c) Slash. d) Panels.
You may also like: Interview Questions for Industrial Engineering Job in Apparel Industry
4. A straight line drawn perpendicular from another line is known as ——————.
a) Squared line. b) Curved line.
c) Horizontal line. d) Bias line.
5. —————————- the curved seam that is formed at the point where pant legs meet.
a) Seam. b) Shirring.
c) Crotch seam. d) Pleats.
6. ——————————- is the place of the Dress makers dress form that always extends from the princess seam to the armhole and side seams.
a) Pivot . b) Princess panel.
c) Ply. d) Ease.
7. —————————– is a technique to shape the fabric by pulling and realigning it on the grain while pressing with steam.
a) Clip. b) Fold.
c) Crease. d)Block.
8. ———————– is a inside curved seam forming an inward arc, as in armholes and neckline.
a) Concave. b) Convex curve.
c) Concave curve. d) Looseness.
9. Any good fitting of a garment must have the considerable amount of——————–
a) Fitted. b) Ease.
c) Semi fitted. d) Looseness.
10. Comfort, Appearance, and Durability are the important for ———————— of the garment.
a) Colour. b) Good fitting.
c) Aesthetic. d) Balance.
1. b) Pivot, 2.(c) Dart, 3.(c) Slash, 4.(a) Squared line, 5.(a) Crotch seam, 6.(b) Princess line, 7.(d) Block, 8.(c) Concave curve.
You may also like: Job and Academic Viva Questions and Answers on Textile Fibres
Give the answers of the below questions:
- Define Basic pattern.
- What is Balance.
- Brief on Style lines.
- Write a note on Dress form.
- What is Ease.
- Write in detail of good fitting of the garment.
- What are the guide lines on muslin..
Answer is given accordint to above point:
1. Basic pattern, made from specific measurements, that is used as a template for tracing rather than cutting. It may be used to develop other patterns.
2. The matching of grains and adjacent pattern sections. When trueing lines on patterns should correspond with the lines and measurements on the figure.
3. Any seam line other other than the part of the shoulder seams, armhole seams, or side seams.
4. Dress form is used for Draping purpose. Many sizes are available i.e., 8,10,12,14. Sizes are available. i.e., 8,10,12,14 sizes . Men, Women, and Childrens dress forms are salable for fashion industry.
5. Ease, the even distribution of slight fullness when one section of a seam is joined to a slightly shorter section without gathers or tucks.
6. Good Fitting of the garment must have comfort,appearance, and durability and also maintain appropriate ease, garment balance, aesthetic appearance, armhole comfort, necessary ease at collar girth, allowable tolerance on chest line-necessary human body parts are to be free from the movement and fitting to be co-operated-good seams, buttons, button-holes, zippers, Velcro placements are to be placed.
7. Guide lines on muslin: Directional lines and markings,that are indicate the grain, cross grain, centerfront, center back, shoulder blade, bustlevel, apex, hiplevel, and side seam. These lines are drawn on the prepared muslin cloth to facilitate correct draping.
Fill in the gaps:
1.______is a pointed metal instrument used for punching holes on pattern dart points.
a) L- square b) Awl c) Trimming –Scissors d) Notches
2..______soft 2b or 5H pencils used in developing muslin patterns.
a) Felt pen b) marker pen c) pencils d) bull pen
ANS-2. (c) Pencils
3. A narrow , woven tape that is used to delignates style lines on the dress form is called ___________
a) Muslin b) Nylon c) Thread d) Style tape
ANS-.(d) Style tape
4 . Garments made of ________should be draped in less expensive cloth
a) Drill Cotton b)Denim Cotton c)Wool d)Knitted Fabrics
ANS-d) Knitted Fabrics
5..______is used to smooth and aid in blocking muslin cloth
a) Charcoal Iron Box b) Steam Iron Box c) Foam Finisher d) Damp Cloth
ANS-. (b) Steam Iron Box
6. This ____is used to measure the human body parts
a) Tape measure b) Armhole curve c) Ruler d) Yard Stick
ANS-. (a) Tape measure
7.__________is the process of ensuring that the length wise and cross grain threads are at right angles to each other.
a) Cross Grain b)True Bias c) Blocking d) Selvage
ANS- (d) Selvage
8. 45 Degree fold line is called _________
a) True Bias b) Straight of grain c) Filling yarns d) Blocking
ANS-.(a) True Bias
9. Customers are always prefer that ———————–of garment is required to buy.
a) Looseness b)Semi Fitted c)Fitted d) Good Fitting
ANS-d) Good fitting.
10. The outline of the garment minus the details is known as the _________ shape.
a) Value b) Silhouette c) Line d) Colour
Questions and answers:
1) What is muslin shell?
Ans: A Basic sample garment made from muslin fabric as an aid during the styling and fitting processes.
2) Define “Ease Allowance”?
Ans: The amount of extra fabric added to the draped pattern to make garments more comfortable and allow for easier movement.
3) Brief on “apex”?
Ans: The highest point of a bus on a dress form or live model. The apex is a reference point for establishing the cross grain position on the front bodice muslin.
4) Write a note on master pattern?
Ans: Basic pattern , made from specific measurements that is use as as template for tracing rather than cutting. It may be used to develop other patterns.
5) What is Trueing?
Ans: The process of blending the markings, dots and cross marks made during the draping process. It establish continuous seams, style lines, darts or dart variations
Write in detail of Evaluation guidelines of dress draping and fitting?
Body Style: Basic, princess, dart less, sheath, jacket, knit, sculptured etc.
Neckline Detail : Front or back high neck , low neck ,”v” neck, square neck etc.
Dart or pleats: one, two, multiple etc.
Fullness variations: From shoulder, from waist line, radiating fullness from side seam, from style line or from template design feature.
Garment length: mini, traditional, knee length, mid -calf, or full length.
Garment Openings: Front, back, side, double breasted, or none.
Sleeve types : short, long, cuffed, bell shape, shirt style, bishop style or coat style
Accent Pieces : collars, cuffs, plackets, pockets, waist bands, etc to create the finished look.
Explain in detail of garment balance?
Ans: The matching of grains and adjacent pattern sections when trueing, lines on patterns should correspond with lines and measurements on the figure. All patterns have a definite relationship with the figure that enables the garment to hang straight up and down (plumb) and be parallel to the floor. The garment will twist, drag, or pull when worn if the pieces are not on the correct grainlines and cross grains.
You can also like: Grading and Pattern Making: Job Interview Questions
It’s me, a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. I’m working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. I’m also a contributor of Wikipedia.