An Overview of Hosiery Yarns
Dept. of Fashion Design
KCC Women’s College (Affiliated by Khulna University)
The yarns which are used for manufacturing of hosiery articles are called hosiery yarns. Hosiery yarn comes from a separate spinning process, and is used with circular knitting machines to form fabric. The selection of hosiery yarn depends upon the purpose for which it is to be used. Different types of hosiery are available for sportswear and dresswear for adults and children. The yarns may be made of spun staple or filament, and they may be stretched or textured. These yarns are processed from premium quality fiber and thus, are extensively used for weaving and knitting hosiery fabrics. Available in a wide variety of lengths, colors and thickness, which can also be customized as per the demands of the clients.
Types of Hosiery Yarns
- Carded hosiery yarn
- Combed hosiery yarn
Other Types of Hosiery Yarn
- Hosiery white yarns
- Polyester dyed hosiery yarn
Properties of Hosiery Yarn
- It is suitable for knitting for its softness.
- It should have less twist and hairiness.
- It should have less friction required.
- It must be regular.
- Continuity of each yarn.
- It has smooth texture.
- It is durable.
- Excellent abrasion resistance.
- Available in varied sizes and thickness.
- Uniform properties with high tensile strength
- For consistent stitch formation, giving dimensional stability to the garments you produce.
- Eliminate the stretch and sag factor.
- Luster and brilliance in color
- Custom color matching
Advantages of Hosiery Yarn
- Do not crepe
- Low hairiness
- Extremely light weight
- High elastic properties
- It has colorfastness quality
- Soft to the touch
- More durable
- More colorfastness
Disadvantages of Hosiery Yarn
- It is unhygienic when it makes with more synthetic fiber
- Another side, more cotton mixed hosiery is less durable
Use of Hosiery Yarn
Use all kinds of hosiery product. Like – Hose, Three quarter hose, Men’s half hose, Tights, Panty-hose, Stockings, Hosiery, Body stockings, Compression stockings, Leggings, Toe socks, Legwarmers etc.
You may also like:
- What is Hosiery | Different Types of Hosiery Garments and Machines
- Production Process of Knit Garments
- Flow Chart of Sweater Manufacturing Process
- Important Factors which Influencing Knitted Fabric Quality
- Features and Uses of the Raschel Warp Knitting Machine
- Difference between Raschel and Tricot Warp Knitting Machine
- Plating Techniques in Flat Knitting Machine
- Knitting Elements of Tricot Warp Knitting Machine
- Knitting Action of Spring Bearded Needle
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.