Most Popular Styles of Tying a Necktie
Dept of Fashion Design & Arts
Hindustan University, Chennai, India
Necktie is a necessary part of a men’s formal and executive attire. It is worn around the neck by passing under the collar of the shirt over the neck buttons. Necktie is also a fashion accessories.
The ties are available in a variety of fabrics-in all imaginable colors, prints, and weaves but the silk ties are the most preferred and suitable one. Ties are available in many a wide spectrum of colors that one can easily match them with the color of the shirt or select a contrasting color, intersecting weaves and prints are the lifeline of this accessory.
Ideally, the tie must always be teamed with a men’s suit or jacket. However, a tie worn with a full sleeve shirt is acceptable attire during summer or winter. The pin is used as an accessory on ties to add to the wearer’s elegance. The pin and cuff links when worn together should ever be matching. Ties could be worn in different styles, based on one’s body type and preference.
Styles of Tying a Necktie:
Some of the most popular styles tying a necktie are mentioned below.
- Windsor knot.
- Half Windsor knots.
- Four in hand knot.
- Bow tie.
1. Windsor knot:
Often this is need to learn how to tie a tie it is because have to show up for a job interview in the near future. At a formal job interview, one of the things is necessary to project is the firm confidence. This is the best accomplished to be use the thick, wide and triangular Windsor knot to tie is most suitable. This knot is usually used for formal evening wear. Follow these steps to the Windsor knot:
- Flip up your collar, button down the top button and lay the tie around the neck so that the wide end of the tie is on your right and extend a foot below the narrow end. Cross the wide end over the narrow end.
- Look up the end through the gap between collar and knot. Again, cross the wide end behind the narrow end.
- Similarly, repeat the above step on the other side.
- Now, wrap the wide end of the tie across the narrow end as shown.
- Pull the wide end up through the gap between collar and the knot again, with a loose hand to create a loop in front of the knot.
- Complete the knot by pulling down the wide end through the created loop. Tighten the knot, holding it gently and pulling the narrow end.
2. Half Windsor Knot
Is a medium sized, symmetrical knot that is narrower than the windsor and larger than the four-hand. As it is a medium sized knot, it can be used on all types of fabrics. This is a knot tied with executive wear. This knot is used with both pointed collar and spread collar shirt. Follow the steps are mentioned below.
- Button down the button of the shirt with collar up and lay the around the neck, so that the wide end of the tie should be appeared. 12 inches below the narrow end. Cross the wide end over the narrow end.
- Look up the wide end of the thorough the gap between collar and knot.
- Put down the wide end back from the front of the narrow end. Again, take the wide end behind the narrow end from the right side.
- Wrap the wide end over the narrow end and pull up the wide end as done in step two, but with a loose hand to create a loop.
- Now, pull the wide end through the loop created in the above step.
- Adjust the knot by pulling the narrow end gently and flip down the collars.
3. Four-in-Hand Knot
Is a simple and narrow knot, which can be used with all types of fabrics. This knot should not be used for very thin and narrow ties. It is usually worn with standard point collar shirt. Follow the steps are mentioned below:
- In the Four-in-hand knot the tie around the neck keeping the wide end longer while narrow end shorter. Cross the wide end over the narrow end.
- Pull the wide end of the necktie towards left side from the back of the narrow end as shown.
- Repeat the step two while pulling the wide end towards the right side, pull it with a loose hand to create a loop.
- Now, pull up the end through the gap between collar and knot, while holding the narrow end with the other hand.
- Pull down the wide end through the created loop. Tighten the knot and center between the collars.
4. Bow Tie:
Is another style of tie or the neck wear, which is worn for formal evening time functions. This appears as a bow on the front of the neck. Follow the steps to the Bow tie.
- Lay the bow tie around the neck with left 2 inches lower than the right end. Cross the left over the right.
- Pull up the left end through the gap between the collar and the crossed ends of the bow tie.
- Fold the right end of the bow tie and place it across the collar points.
- Hold this front loop with thumb and forefinger of right hand. Drop the left end down over the front of the loop.
- Wrap the left end of the bow tie. Take the left end of the bow tie and pull it through this loop, and pull it from the gap between the collar and the knot, while creating a loop.
- Adjust the resulting knot to make the both ends equal and tighten the bow tie.
Neck tie is the necessary and also enhance the elegant appearance to the wearer. Even in convent, schools, professional college students are insisted to wear the neck tie in prescribed color and design to show their discipline. Now –a- days I.T sector professionals, Five Star Hotels, corporate and banking sector officials are preferred to wear the neck tie to be recognized their professional position. For looking smart there is not alternative tying a necktie in proper way.
You may also like: Different Types of Scarf with Wearing Techniques
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.