Currently the fabric weaving method mainly depends on the textile design. Everyone nowadays wants to decorate themselves beautifully. As a result, new fashions are being taken as a challenge. In this case, textile designs have been added as a new dimension in fashion. This creates variety in the design of the garment and makes it look more attractive. People of all ages, starting from the young generation, have emphasized on the design of clothing.
What is Textile Design?
The textile design of the fabric is usually reflected in the interlacement of warp and weft yarns when making oven fabrics. It is the reflection of textile fabrics on paper. Again different designs are also embossed on the fabric using different colors. This is basically called textile design. Everything from the exterior of a fabric to the structure and production process are also included in textile design.
Types of Textile Design:
Textile designs are first printed on paper and later used in textile weaving. Textile design is divided into three branches. Those are:
- Printed textile design
- Woven textile design
- Mixed media textile design
1. Printed textile design:
Printing is a process of arranging textile fabrics. Fabrics are decorated using pigments, dyes, blocks, batik etc. It is a medium of textile design.
2. Woven textile design:
Woven textile design is the design that is done on the fabric through the yarn when weaving this fabric. This is usually done by making brackets between warp and weft yarn. It is also used in the case of the original ground pattern of the cloth.
3. Mixed media textile design:
In this case, the texture of the fabric can also be seen in the sewing, block, batik and even in the weaving technique. That is to say, a combination of many designs emerges from the fabric, so it is called mixed media textile design.
In addition to the above categories, textile design can also be divided into two more ways. One is the fabric used in household furniture and the other is the wearable fabric.
Textile design for home goods:
Textile design of fabrics used in household furniture is usually simple. In this case the application of oven textile design can be seen in weaving technique. But now there are also variations in the design of the fabrics used to make the household furniture more glamorous.
Textile design for apparel or clothing industry:
In addition to the fabrics used in household furniture, the application of textile design can be seen in the everyday wear of people. In this case, from woven textile design to printed and even mixed media textile design is used to decorate the garments. Any garment can be presented in a more attractive way through its texture decoration.
Importance of Textile Design:
- Textile designs are basically expressed in terms of the structural aspect of the fabric.
- The designs are embellished on the fabric through the use of yarns of different colors. The use of single color yarn as well as different colored yarns creates variety in the design of the fabric. This makes the dress look more attractive.
- Textile designs are usually fixed on the fabric. Once a design is created, it is no longer possible to change it.
- It takes a little more time to create a textile design. Because it is done with the technique of weaving cloth.
- Textile designs cost more than artistic designs. On the other hand, the brilliance of textile design is less than that of artistic design.
- Textile design is an important part of the textile production process. Usually, to highlight a band, one has to look at the textile design of that band’s clothes. One costume band differs from another because of this design.
- Both middle-aged men and women avoid more glamorous clothing. They usually focus on the design of the fabric. They prefer structural design. Nowadays the younger generation also pays more attention to textile design than decorative design.
- In addition, in hot weather, people avoid more luxurious clothes. At this time people buy clothes based on the design of the clothes. By wearing such clothes, the person feels refreshed.
- Creativity can also be expressed through textile designs. Clothing can be enhanced with many unique textile designs. Apart from diversifying the color of the yarn, the garment can also be designed by changing the yarn during weaving. In many cases, the combination of cotton yarn as well as silk yarn creates variation in the texture of the fabric.
The basic structure of a garment depends on the design. It takes clothing to a whole new level. Textile design is one of the first things that any band, starting from the apparel industry, looks for in bringing a new dress to the market. Nowadays, it is also of interest to fashion designers. Before designing any garment, one has to design with an idea on its textile design. Moreover, the dress will lose its appeal.
Author of this Article:
B.Sc. in Clothing and Textile
Govt. College of Applied Human Science, Dhaka
You may also like:
- Implementation of Decorative Design in Dress Designing
- Top 10 Best Fashion Design Schools in the World
- Application of CAD in Jacquard Designing
- Role of Software and Technology in Fashion Designing
- Classification of Dress Design in Fashion Designing
Founder & Editor of Textile Learner. He is a Textile Consultant, Blogger & Entrepreneur. He is working as a textile consultant in several local and international companies. He is also a contributor of Wikipedia.